Scaffold to Rigor Using Performance Scales
- Identify focus standards for the unit.
- Identify essential and supportive standards.
- Unpack the declarative and procedural knowledge.
- Write learning targets using the verb and the action phrase.
- Decide the level of cognitive complexity for the learning target.
- Identify academic vocabulary (concepts) that students must understand. (Declarative knowledge)
- Identify basic processes needed to access the learning targets from the focus standards.
- Decide the level of cognitive complexity for the learning targets.
- Place all learning targets on the learning scale.
- Create a 4.0 target by going up one level of cognitive complexity. Think about how the learning will be used in a real world situation.
Critical and Close Reading Strategies
- Guided Highlighting
- Tracking your Thinking
- Process texts together daily
- Teacher is the scaffold
- Use complex Text
- Revisit over time with different purposes
Guided Reading-Leveled Reading
- Define guided reading.
- Describe the purpose of small group reading in a balanced literacy classroom.
- Identify just right texts for guided reading.
- Explain strategies for grouping students for reading practice.
- Examine best practices for guided reading.
- Focus Lesson
- Guided Practice
- Word Work
- Wrap UP
Meet at least 2x per week with each group.
Literature Circles-Student-led discussion groups
- Define Lit Circles.
- What is the purpose?
- What texts should be used?
- How are students grouped?
- What are the best practices for literature circles?
- How do teachers monitor for the desired result?
Create a Book Each Week
- The Important Book
- Our Class Book
- Innovations on Texts
What reading strategies will be introduced and practiced each week?
- One or Two per week
- Week 1-Introduce and guided practice
- Week 2+-Review and independent practice
About Kelly Harmon
Kelly Harmon is a national presenter who has more than 25 years of experience working with at-risk students. She presents on a wide range of topics including RTI, technology, and reading, writing, and strategies for highly effective teachers. Kelly publishes a blog and a monthly newsletter with timely ideas and resources teachers need. She has also co-authored the book Practicing Skills, Strategies, and Processes with Dr. Robert Marzano.