Edition Three: January 2017
2016 Presidential Inauguration ~ By: Bridget Nbrang
On The Campaign Trail ~ By: Kara Langbaum
I had the pleasure of interviewing Shepard Doniger, who worked in many campaigns, including Senator Heinz of Pennsylvania (1976-1991). Yes, just like the ketchup! In the campaign, he helped with tv commercials, campaign slogans, and the whole campaign really! But, let's get to where it all began!
Mr. Doniger had been interested in politics his whole life. One day, he went to Capitol Hill and passed out his resume and got hired. He got involved in Senator Heinz’s campaign by working with him for five years and when Mr. Heinz needed help with his campaign, he asked Mr. Doniger. He considers himself an independent (not democrat nor republican) even though Senator Heinz was a republican.
Despite working for many politicians, and having been involved with many elections, Mr. Doniger never wanted to run for an office. “I liked being behind the scenes,” he said.
Mr. Doniger explained to me how politics has changed from the 1980’s to today. He said that politics was always tough but back then there was respect. Today and in this past election, it is much "dirtier" for no reason. “It’s a really sad thing.” Mr. Doniger explained.
Today, Mr. Doniger owns his own company called the Black Dog Communications Group which is a strategic communications company. So, now you know that if you ever want to run for office, call Shepard Doniger to help with your campaign!
Black History Month ~ By: Dean Ibrami
Spotlight On Our Terrific Teachers: Mrs. Sedicino ~ By : Jadyn Ninan and Ariana Aray
1. Mrs. Sedicino walks in casually into a restaurant with surprising only two options!!! Snail cake or sour cream spiders. Which one will she choose? Snail cake to go with her sweet tooth!
2. When Mrs. Sedicino gets the exciting news of two spots opening in the " All Wayne" concert, she has the choice between playing an instrument or singing. Which does she prefer? She prefers to use her talents to play an instrument!
3. A movie theater is showing two movie series: STAR WARS and STAR TREK. Which one would Mrs. Sedicino pick? She would definitely pick STAR WARS!
4. When an assignment comes up with a winning prize of $1,000,000.00, Mrs. Sedicino has to pick between a google docs task or a google slides presentation. Which does she prefer? She prefers docs.
5. Mrs. Sedicino gets two invitation to two different birthday parties all in one week. The first one is to a mean person's party but has great food and the second is to a sweet person's party but has nasty food. Which one would she rather attend?: She would pick the sweet person with the nasty food, as any other kind lady would.
6. Mrs. Sedicino can't take all of the noise that her second graders are causing. (This is a joke, Mrs. Sedicino would never act this way. Plus, her students are very good! ) She decides to sit down and listen to some relaxing music, but she can't make up her mind about using earbuds or headphones. Which one does she pick? She would wear headphones.
7. Art or Sports? She loves both!
8. Horror or fantasy? Mrs. Sedicino would pick fantasy.
9. Water skiing or skydiving? Mrs. Sedicino would pick water skiing!
10. Getting ready for the beginning of the school year, or wrapping up at the end? Mrs. Sedicino is relieved when she finishes another year.
11. Pink or Purple? She loves Pink!
12. Pickles or onions? Believe it or not, Mrs. Sedicino eats a jar of pickles each week!
13. Cleaning or preparing? Preparing is the way to go for Mrs. Sedicino!
14. Daydreaming or night dreaming? Mrs. Sedicino is a daydreamer!
Mrs. Sedicino wants you all to know, that she loves teaching, is very silly, makes sure that her students have fun, and has been teaching since 1997! That's it, folks! See ya next month at the Bulldog Gazette!
Spotlight On Our Terrific Teachers: Ms. Cahill ~ By: Stuti D. And Jalal A.
How much do you have in common with Mrs. Cahill? See if you have like preferences below in a series of WOULD YOU RATHER.
Would you rather...1. Eat Sour Cream Spiders or Snail Cake?
2. Sing or Play an Instrument?
3. Watch Star Wars or Star Trek?
4. Use Slides or Docs?
5. Accept an Invitation to a mean person's party with great food or a nice person's party but has nasty food?
6. Use Earbuds or Headphones?
7.Have Art or Sports?
8. Horror or Fantasy?
9. Water ski or skydive?
10. Get ready for the beginning of the school year or Enjoy the end to it's fullest?
11. Prefer Pink or Purple?
12. Eat Pickles or Onions?
13. Clean or Prepare?
14. Daydream or night dream?
What would YOU choose?
Bye, and thank you, Mrs. Cahill, for taking the time to do this.
P.S. HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!
Kindergarten's Top Five: Movies ~ By: Ariana Aray
The top five kindergarten movies are Inside out, Angry birds, Trolls, Sing, and Moana. The Lego Movie was also a favorite!
All of the kids in the classes were very cooperative. They all waited their turn, and they gave me great results! Thank you kindergarten because that's it! See you next month!
1st Grade Top Five: Sports ~ By: Pratham Kumar
So, it looks like SOCCER is the favorite sport in Mrs. Bellusi's, Ms. Recchia's, Mrs. Morley's and Mrs. Garruto's classes!
The first graders were very cooperative and fun to work with.
2nd Grade Top Five: Ice Cream ~ By: Gabby Hammer, Ariana Aray, Jadyn Nisenson
The top favorite ice cream was cookies and cream which had 37 votes. WOW! That's a large number of votes! The next favorite flavor of ice cream was chocolate with 11 votes. That's not that big of a number compared to cookies and cream! Mint was very close to the chocolate with 10 votes and vanilla not close behind with 9 votes. Last but not least strawberry got 7 votes.
This was a great experience finding out 2nd grades favorite ice cream! In total, 74 kids in the 2nd grade LOVE ice cream!
3rd Grade: Top 5 Authors - By: Stuti Desai
I had the honor of interviewing the ENTIRE third grade. It was SO MUCH FUN! I got approximately 30 responses for their favorite author, and I may have just found my new favorite book series!
In fifth place is (fanfare)... Ellen Myers. All of us probably have heard of the Puppy Place series. I like those books. If you want to read them they're about this one family who fosters dogs until the pups can find a better, newer, and more permanent home.
In fourth place are (applause)... Mary Pope Osborne and Roald Dahl. We've all heard of Roald Dahl, and his books are worth reading. I recommend watching the Matilda movie first. It is SO AWESOME. Mary Pope Osborne is one of the BEST fantasy authors EVER. I DEFINITELY will recommend Magic Tree House to third grade and below. (It gets kind of boring as you get older.)
In third place are (drumroll)... J. K. Rowling and Rick Riordan. We've all heard of them. If you say that you have not heard of Harry Potter, I. WILL. EXPLODE. Percy Jackson and all the mythology books are definitely worth reading, and if you ever want to discuss the books, I'm sure my best friend, Ariana has time to listen.
In second place is (blast the party poppers)... Dr. Seuss. I KNOW that you have heard of him and that you can't possibly be surprised by this. How could he not be a favorite? He's got everything. Humor and a sense of learning and morals.
FINALLY, IN FIRST PLACE IS (CROWD GOES WILD)... JEFF KINNEY, THE AUTHOR OF DIARY OF A WIMPY KID. THE AUTHOR OF THE MOST POPULAR BOOK SERIES IN AMERICA!!! THE COOLEST GUY EVER!! JEFF KINNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, just wondering, do YOU know who your favorite author is. I can never choose. Like, when the Letters For Literature thing came, I'm like, uh, I like Rick Riordan, but I think I'd rather do J. K. Rowling. And, Hmm, what about Tui. T Sutherland or Katherine Paterson? So, it's really okay if you can't choose your favorite author. I totally get it.
Anyway, thanks to the incredible third grade. You guys are awesome. BYE!!! Happy Valentines Day!!
4th Grade Top Five: Gaming Consoles ~ By: Matthew Burke and Angadh Singh
So, as you can see, the OTHER category is the winner. By other, we mean a bunch of different gaming devices!
5th Grade Top Five: Social Media Sites ~ By: Jadyn Nisenson and Sydney Heltzer
The order of the favorite social media are Snapchat, with half of fifth grade voting for it. Then came Instagram with a little less. After came Musically. Then was other social media or no social media that had several votes. Last was Imessage or Call that had only a few votes lower than other social media or no social media. That was it for all the fifth grade social media favorites and we hope your favorite social media is listed!
Super Bowl LI... Super! ~ By: Kara Langbaum
Pro / Con : An Editorial on Bottle Flipping ~ By: Ava Rewick and Gabby Hammer
There are many pros to bottle flipping, here are some examples:
1. It is great for curing boredom.
2. It's very fun, and so many different possibilities!
3. It's educational because of the bottles rotational force when it is flipping!
4. You can do it anywhere you go if you have a water bottle with you.
5. One last thing is that there are many ways to avoid the potential mess such as:
-Gluing the cap to the water bottle
-pick water bottles with thicker plastic
-be careful and don't throw it too high and hard!
After reading all these reasons that bottle flipping should not be banned, do you like bottle flipping, or not?
There are also cons to this trend. Here are some examples:
1. First of all, bottle flipping can be very distracting. Many kids do this in between their classes and do not stay focused.
2. When you flip the bottle it slams when landing, making a pretty loud sound.
3. If the cap isn't screwed tightly, water can spill and cause a mess.
4. It can be very annoying having kids doing this every time they get a Poland Spring water bottle and have the right amount of water.
5. When flipping the water bottle, some kids put a lot of force into it and practically throw it. There is a chance it can hit someone and hurt them.
6. Now kids are flipping other things like yogurt, other beverages, and solid objects. It is getting out of control.
7. Because of bottle flipping, many children have gotten in trouble at school and at home a lot more than before this trend.
Therefore, bottle flipping is a very favored and popular game, but there are valid reasons why it should be banned. After reading this, do you like bottle flipping, or not?
Original February Poetry ~ By: Aadhithyaram Balaji
Love is in the air.
Will you write a valentine?
It's the day of hearts.
CHINESE NEW YEAR
It's Chinese New Year.
Twelve animal zodiacs.
Happy Chinese New Year and Happy Valentines Day!
All about Ms. Myers -Answers!
Ms. Myers' favorite color... Purple
Ms. Myers went to... Notre Dame
Ms. Myers' favorite ice cream is... Chocolate Chip Mint
Ms. Myers' favorite food is... All of the choices she had: Pizza, Pasta, Sushi
Ms. Myers played this sport in college... Rowing
Ms. Myers was a teacher for... 10 years
Ms. Myers' favorite Shel Silverstein book was... Where The Sidewalk Ends
Ms. Myers has been to... 30 States
Ms. Myers favorite shoe brand is... Nike
Ms. Myers has... 1 sibling
Drawing Contest ~ Due March 21st
For this month we are doing a drawing contest. The winning drawing will be in the next edition. The theme is JFK! Student Ambassadors want to see your creativity and how JFK inspires you in your drawing. We are looking for some interesting Bulldogs out there to see what you draw about JFK. Make sure you include your name and your class on the back of the paper. When you're done, please hand it in to either Jadyn Nisenson in 5-I or Kara Langbaum in 5-K. These drawings are due March 21, 2017.Good luck to all of our artists! We can't wait to see some interesting drawings!
If you have any questions, please see Kara or Jadyn.