A weekly update from the West Bloomfield School District
WBSD Weekly Update - September 4
Remember! Our next day of school is Tuesday, Sept. 8!
Have a great holiday weekend, Team WB!
WBSD Board of Trustee Vacancy
The West Bloomfield Board of Education will be interviewing the following candidates to fill the vacant Board of Education Trustee position on Thursday, Sept. 10 starting at 6 p.m.:
- Grant Munson
- Christy Forhan
- Tina Moore
- Deborah Evans
- Dr. Jalonne White-Newsome
- Crystal Knox
- Kristen Sonneville-Douglass
- John Calvin
The meeting and interviews are open to the public and will take place via Zoom.
Canvas Login Information
Additional Canvas resources can be found at www.wbsd.org/canvas.
Project SEARCH Celebrates Graduates
Evan Davis - Birmingham
Mike Samueloff - Walled Lake
Michael Niesluchowski - Walled Lake
Miller Karageanes - Birmingham
Emily-Ann Hauser - Novi
Patrick Harmon - WBSD
Nick George - Birmingham
Leah Matties said, "This group of interns was incredibly flexible with all that happened during their tenure at Project SEARCH. Prior to COVID, upon returning back from winter break in January there was a water main break in the hospital, which affected our classroom, so we had to move each day to available space for instruction. Hospital departments the interns rotated through were: endoscopy, surgical recycling, kitchen prep, linens, patient transportation, pharmacy/physical therapy, ICU Alcove stocking, Labor and Delivery."
Oakland Early College Recognized!
Oakland Early College (OEC) was one of 41 high schools across Michigan that produced
outstanding FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) completion rates and was recognized by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and the Michigan College Access Network (MCAN).
The College Cash Campaign, a FAFSA completion initiative from the Michigan College Access Network, ran from Nov. 1, 2019 through March 1, 2020. During that time, 49,128 FAFSAs were filed by 2020 graduating seniors in nearly 400 participating Michigan high schools.
Oakland Early College’s FAFSA completion rate was 88% as of March 1, 2020. By July 1, 2020, that rate had increased to 94%.
“I want to congratulate all of the schools that exceeded their FAFSA completion goal and every student who filled out their form,” Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said.
Food Service Update - 2020-21 School Year
Please contact Anne Stevens with Nutrition Services questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (248) 865-6733.
GSRP in WBSD
WB Community Education Update
LAST CALL!!! Fall 2020 ONLINE REGISTRATION IS OPEN!
First Lego League Grades 4-5th $200
First Tech Challenge Grades 6-8th $275
WB Township Library Information
Online Learning Resources for K-12 Students for Homework, Study and Test Prep
- BrainFuse Online Tutors for K-12 students with live homework help from 4-10 PM (except holidays).
- Support for ACT, PSAT, SAT and AP exams, including study guides and online practice tests that offer instant scoring and personalized recommendations for improving scores.
- Information experts at the Library available to help students in person and by phone, email and text message.
Back to School Reading List
As summer ends and kids begin the new school year, it is important for them to keep their
reading and reading comprehension skills sharp. These themed lists focus on titles about
current events and student life.
Join us for virtual storytime on Facebook Live. Sing, dance and learn with Ms. Emily on
Thursday, September 10 at 10:30 AM.
Grab & Go Service
- Come into the buildings and browse circulating collections.
- Select materials to enjoy at home and pick up materials you’ve placed on hold.
- Ask for reader’s advisory or reference assistance.
- Use self-check stations to check out materials.
- Leave the building after about 45 minutes inside.
- Building occupancy is limited to 25% capacity.
- Masks are required in the buildings.
- Parking Lot Pick-Up curbside service is available at both the Main Library and Westacres Branch.
- The Main Library Drive-Up window is also open.
- Enjoy the latest eBook and eAudiobook titles
- Watch movies and TV shows
- Listen to albums and singles
- Read more than 3,600 magazines
- Keep up with news from national and international newspapers
- Use the Learning Resource Center to match what you want to learn with resources for preschool to high school students, as well as adults
No other use of building spaces will be available during Phase 2.
- Study spaces and computers are not available at either building.
- Frequently touched surfaces such as toys and play equipment, vending machines and water fountains are not be available.
Pick up Summer Reading Materials and Reading Rewards
Summer Reading materials and Reading Reward incentives can be picked up inside Library
buildings, through Parking Lot Pick-Up or at the Main Library Drive-Up Window. The Summer
Reading Book Fair will continue until September 4. Select books from displays at the Main
Library or Westacres Branch or let us know what type of books you like, and a librarian can
select your reward books for you to pick up from Parking Lot Pick-Up or the Drive-Up Window.
Renew or request a library card
Ask at the Main Library Reception desk or the Westacres Branch Circulation desk. You can also
continue to renew or request a library card on the Library’s website.
Check out our district and building calendars in order to stay up to date on all events going on in our district!