LORI Certification Reminder and RILINK Email Addresses
If you missed the LORI Certification update in the May Newsletter, please take a moment to review it (click here to view the newsletter and scroll down to LORI Certification Update).
Starting on July 1, all LORI member libraries must regularly check their RILINK email account (email@example.com) for important information from OLIS, including login information for the Certification process. The May Newsletter article includes a brief screencast that provides details on how to access the RILINK email account and also how to forward emails from that account to the email account of your choice.
Karen sent an email to all RILINK email addresses on Wednesday, June 3, to test the accounts and to make sure they are being checked. Please check for this email and reply if you have not already done so.
If you have any questions about your RILINK/LORI email, please contact us using the RILINK Help Request.
RILINK Summer Conference 2020
"Standard Bearer: Library to Classroom" offers twenty-one sessions over the three days of the conference.
Watch for a "special" conference newsletter coming very soon to your inbox with all the details!
RI 2020 School Librarian of the Year
- Please check out the listing for your library/school/district for summer reading and learning at https://guides.rilink.org/summerreading and send updates to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please let email@example.com know whether your RILINK billing for the upcoming year is OK as sent or whether any changes are needed. Please let her know when the billing has been submitted for payment. When you have a PO number or payment information, please send it along to her.
- Read the digital edition of the June issue of School Library Journal, including "Shonen Mania," action-packed shonen manga for teens and tweens and "Great Books," 15 engaging hi-lo series. To access this free issue, go to https://slj.com and log in with the email address firstname.lastname@example.org and the password SLJfullaccess1.
- Follett is offering 50% off on select books, including over 1,600 eBooks, through June 30th.
- MyOn access is ending soon. Visit the Renaissance web site at https://www.renaissance.com/summerlearning/ to learn about options for continuing access to eBooks.
- Go to https://www.mackin.com/hq/distance-learning-essentials/digital-content/#FreeSubscription to get a free single-user eBook guide for young readers on the Coronavirus from Candlewick Press that explains why everyday routines have been disrupted and how everyone can do their part to help. The web page also details all of the free access that is available through September 30, 2020.
- AskRI has TumbleBooks available statewide through August 31. Go to https://www.askri.org/librarian-center/tumblebooklibrary/ and scroll down the page to get the links for the individual Libraries – TumbleBookLibrary (K-6), TumbleMath, TeenBookCloud, AudioBookCloud, and RomanceBookCloud for the older crowd.
EGHS Hosts Senior Art Exhibition
Ready your Destiny site for next fall
- Turn off all scheduled jobs and delete any jobs no longer needed from the Job Manager in the Back Office.
- Run a report of items still checked out to seniors once you have gotten your books and other items back from students and teachers,
- Save this report for future reference. Then Delete all seniors. This will mark any books still checked out to seniors as Lost.
- Do not delete other students. They will get updated/moved when the first student update file is processed in the fall. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, please contact Karen Shore.
- Consider introducing your students and teachers to Destiny Discover in the fall.
- Review the setup options which can be applied to teachers and students as Access Levels to best meet the needs of each group. Destiny doesn't have to look the same to every user.
Mass Deletion of Unused Assets
RILINK Schools LibGuides CMS site currently has over 72,000 Assets (links, widgets, documents, etc.) in its system. Of those, over 26,000 are not being used. An unused Asset is indicated by a zero (0) under the Mapping column. One member librarian went in recently and realized she had over 1000 Assets not being used. She was very grateful to hear she didn't have to delete them manually.
Springshare will do a mass delete of the unused Assets for us. This mass delete will be scheduled for July 2020. Want to check how many you have? Directions are available in the RILINK Schools Winter Newsletter.
OVER 30 BOOKLYNX EBOOKS AND DIGITAL AUDIO BOOKS ADDED IN MAY
Check out the 32 new eBooks and digital audio titles recently added to RILINK at https://tinyurl.com/yck4uhrz. Find directions for adding BookLynx eBooks and digital audio books to your collection at https://tinyurl.com/ycdylnrv. When adding new eBooks and audio books to your collection, sort by date added in descending order to see the newest titles.
As always, Donna Good looks forward to receiving your requests and recommendations. Just fill out the form at https://rilink.libwizard.com/f/eBookrequest.
RI Middle School Book Award Committee Seeking New Members
Tumblebooks subscriptions and pricing for next year
Tumblebooks is no longer offering Tumblebooks Library Deluxe. If your library is a current subscriber, you will need to consider moving to Premium. You and your students and teachers currently have access to all of Tumblebooks - see our web site at https://guides.rilink.org/remotelearning/freeebooks.
Current subscription offerings are
- TumbleBook Library Premium (K-6) (list price $799) RILINK discounted price is $639.20 at a twenty percent discount. Premium includes over 1,100 Ipad/tablet/mobile-compatible animated, talking, picture books plus read-alongs, eBooks, graphic novels, videos, and non-fiction. Students can take reading comprehension quizzes, and play educational games. Teachers will like the Common Core Curriculum Portal.
- TumbleMath (K-6) (list price is $799) RILINK discounted is $639.20. All of the titles are in TumbleBook format which combines animation, narration, and sound to create a compelling and enticing story books for students of all ages. The books are all accompanied by supplementary materials such as lesson plans, instructional videos, educational games, plus quizzes in order to test and track student progress. Teacher TumbleTracker accounts allow teachers to track quizzes and reading.
- TeenBookCloud (list price $799) RILINK discounted price is $639.20. This subscription provides eBooks and other digital content for Middle Schools and High Schools. The growing collection features over 1,000 titles, including Graphic Novels, enhanced eBooks with full audio narration and highlighted text, classic literature, national geographic videos,
hundreds of High-Interest/Low-Level books, and an AP English section.
- AudioBookCloud (list price is $999) RILINK discounted price is $799.20 at a twenty percent discount. This subscription has over 1200 multi-user titles including dozens of genres and interest levels. The collection includes popular literature, classics, children’s and teen books, mystery, sci-fi, history, biography, and more! No downloads, no software needed – simply click and listen!
Please see our web site at https://guides.rilink.org/discounts/tumblebooks for more information and an order form (password required).
NOTE: All Tumblebooks Libraries are free through August 31 thanks to AskRI!
Gale renewal pricing and new offerings for next year
If you received a renewal statement from Gale, please throw it out/delete it. These renewal statements do not reflect RILINK pricing or bundles for the upcoming year.
Please see our website at https://guides.rilink.org/discounts/Gale for current database offerings and the order form with pricing. Check out the free access currently available and use the links on the [Databases available] tab for more information.
Gale is offering a new elementary bundle combining the Kids Infobits and National Geographic Kids databases this year. There is also a new database offering: Smithsonian Primary Sources in US History. This database supports US History and AP US History classes, bringing hand-curated material from the experts at the Smithsonian directly to classrooms and students. Students and teachers can choose from 15 eras and over 1,800 seminal primary sources including documents, maps, historical objects, and other materials from the museums, archives, and collections of the Smithsonian and Gale's leading digital collections.
Gale is continuing to offer discounted eBooks, and we have updated the current titles and prices available for the Core Elementary, Frontlist, and Foundation Classics lists with downloadable Excel files posted on our website.