November 19, 2021
Dear LISD Families,
We have been reflecting on thankfulness lately and how lucky we are to be working at LISD and living on Lopez Island. Here are a few things about our school and community that make us feel especially grateful:
1. Two board members, Wendy Stephenson and Chris Greacen, are transitioning off the school board this month. Big thanks to them both for their service to our district!
2. The ability to do COVID testing at school, and to our school nurse, Karen Hattman, for working hard to keep our community safe
3. Nutritious and delicious food from our school production garden and orchard, harvested by our LIFE program staff, and expertly prepared by our kitchen staff
4. Teachers who show up every day ready to navigate the delicate balance between loving their students and having high expectations for them
5. Paraeducators who work with students through difficult moments to guide them on the pathway toward success
6. Office coordinators, Ronda Berg and Karrie Warner, who are often the first people to greet students, families, and visitors to our school, handling every situation with grace and positivity
7. Our district office staff, transportation department, and maintenance/custodial folks who work behind the scenes to ensure that everything runs smoothly
8. The rain that turns everything green again
9. A couple days off next week to rest and rejuvenate
10. Students and their families for being the number one reason we are here!
This is the last newsletter we'll be sending out before the Thanksgiving break. We sincerely hope you have a lovely holiday.
Martha and Mary
Menu For Week Ending November 24th
School lunch with pasta made by the culinary class!
News From the Library Media Center
Since the school year began, 1,230 books have been checked out to students, teachers and staff through the school library. Our students continue to develop a love of reading through exposure to a variety of materials. Thank you for your support at home.
The library hosts classes, secondary students, reading groups and of course, book read alouds to our elementary students. It’s an active, well used and beautiful space.
As a reminder, next Wednesday, November 24, will be an early dismissal for all students at 2:00 P.M. Also, there will be no school on Thursday and Friday.
Please use the far south entrance on Center when dropping students off and picking them up in front of the secondary entrance.
Please excuse absences with a call, note or email to the elementary or secondary office. Extended family vacations during school need preapproval forms filled out and signed by appropriate principal.
Due to the Thanksgiving Break, there will be no community letter on Friday, November 26. Please look forward to our next community letter on December 3.
Lopez Island School District
Ed Murray, Superintendent
Martha Martin, Secondary Principal
Mary Fordham, Elementary Principal
The Lopez Island School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employee(s) has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator, Ed Murray – firstname.lastname@example.org; Title IX Coordinator, HR Specialist, Renee Koplan – email@example.com; Section 504, Mary Fordham – firstname.lastname@example.org; OR contact by phone, 360-468-2202, OR mail to 86 School Rd, Lopez Island, WA 98261.
Location: 86 School Road, Lopez Island, WA, USA
Phone: (360) 468-2202