Ryone Thompson, Fangjia Li, Ray Gaither
1. Indirect rule: colonial government in which local rulers are allowed to maintain their position of authority and status.
2. Direct rule: colonial government in which local elites are removed from power and replaced by a new set of official brought from the mother country.
3.Imperialism: Imperialism is to rule over a people or place through colonization, military power, economic or political power.
5. Spanish American war: The Spanish–American War was a conflict in 1898 between Spain and the United States, the result of American intervention in the Cuban War of Independence.
1. President William McKinley decided to turn the Philippines, which has been under Spanish control, into an American colony. This action would prevent the area from falling into the hands of the Japanese. This islands gave the United States a jumping-off point for trade with China.
2. In 1898, during the Spanish-American War, United States naval forces under Commodore George Dewey defeated the Spanish fleet in Manila Bay.The Spanish–American War was a conflict in 1898 between Spain and the United States, the result of American intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American attacks on Spain's Pacific possessions led to involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately to the Philippine–American War.
3. When the United States acquired the Philippines, Aguinaldo(the leader of Philippines) continued the revolt and set himself up as the president of the republic of the Philippines. However, the United States defeated the guerrilla forces, and President McKinley had his stepping stone to the rich markets of China.
4. After the global triumph of the U.S. over Spain in 1898, the U.S. moved in to colonize the Philippines. Admiral Dewey defeated Spain in Manila Bay on May 1, 1898. Aguinaldo declared Philippine independence on June 12, 1898 and the Philippine Republic on January 23, 1899 but the U.S. did not recognize it. Hence, the Philippine-American War started in 1899 and went on for about 10 years.
Q1:The Spanish-American War was formally ended by:
A.The Treaty of Tordesilla
B. The war is technically still going under a cease-fire.
C.The Treaty of Paris
Q2.The definition of imperialism is?
A. When a nation works to expand its power and influence. The two primary methods of imperialism are military conquest and political diplomacy.
B. It is something of which U.S. would never be a part.
C. When a nation closes off its border and goes into a period of isolationism. The two primary methods of imperialism are closing of communication and assuming a defensive military posture.
Which of the following stories helped push the U.S. toward war with Spain?
A.The sinking of the U.S.S. Maine.
B. The De Lome Letter.
C. Sensationalized stories of General 'Butcher' Weyler.
D. All 3
Learn more about imperialism ......
Video: American Imperialism in Hawaii, China & the Philippines:http://education-portal.com/academy/lesson/american-imperialism-in-hawaii-china-the-philippines.html#lesson