THE PAW PRINT
VOL. 0 - Week of August 10, 2020
Welcome to The Paw Print!
It is my privilege to welcome you to another fabulous year at CCMS! I know these are unprecedented times and we are not starting on campus as we would have liked but we will do our best to make this year exciting, challenging, supportive, and engaging for all learners. Let's make this year count! We are ALL responsible for the academic, social and emotional success of our students. Let's work together to develop inspired learners, confident collaborators, unrelenting problem solvers, and empathetic human beings. It is all very possible.
~Ms. Villafranca, Principal
- Reminder: Attending in-person registration is OPTIONAL. No student is required to report to campus, and all registration materials are accessible online. If your child does not take a photo during registration, we will use your child's prior year photo or arrange makeups when we return to on-campus learning.
- Please make sure you sign up for a time slot for your designated registration day. Walk-ins and people attending during their non-designated dates and times will not be admitted. Please adhere to your appointment times.
- Attendance is limited to CCMS students and one parent only. Please do not bring additional family members or guests.
- Everyone is required to wear a mask and practice social distancing while on campus. If waiting in a line, please make every effort to maintain at least a 6 foot distance between families.
- Please only visit the areas designated on the Panther Pawsport, which you will receive at registration. Do not walk through halls, classrooms, and other areas that are not on the list, as we are trying to maintain a clean and sterilized environment for our staff on campus.
- Only students will be allowed inside the Front Gym to take photos. No parents or other family members will be allowed to go in.
Other considerations for registration:
- You will save a lot of time if you finish the online portion in the Aeries Portal BEFORE coming to campus.
- Please print your completed Daily Emergency & Disaster Release form and bring the completed form to turn in at the Front Gate when you arrive unless you received confirmation that it was received by Aug 5th.
- If you are planning to put funds in your child's lunch account, please note that you can do it electronically or you can add funds in the Cafeteria during registration. The cafeteria will be accepting CASH or CHECK ONLY in the cafeteria. Checks should be made out to CCUSD.
JOIN US AT CAMP PANTHER AND PARENT BOOTCAMP!
Attention 6th Graders!!!
Attention ALL CCMS Parents!
Links to join will be available in the next Paw Print and on the CCMS Website.
All presentations will be recorded and posted for later access.
MORE EXCITING OPPORTUNITIES FOR PARENTS!
Welcome to CCMS! Middle school is a new world and getting information from your child about
what’s happening at school won’t always be easy. One of the best ways to get involved and
stay informed is by participating with the PTSA and Panther Partners, the CCMS Booster Club.
Please visit ccms.ccusd.org for more information.
Be a Proud Panther and Join the PTSA!
Start the year off right – as you register your student, join the CCMS PTSA. The CCMS PTSA is an open, diverse group of parents, teachers and students that supports CCMS and its students. We encourage all parents, students, teachers and family members to join (even grandma can sign up)! The membership fee results in advocacy for our students at the district, state and national level. The more members we have, the more say we have! Please consider sponsoring membership for a teacher.
Membership costs just $8. Membership is only good for 1 year, so even if you joined last year, please join again this year! Go to https://jointotem.com/ca/culver-city/culver-city-middle-school-ptsa/join to join today!
Invest in Our School!
We recognize that 2020 has been a challenging year for all - socially, emotionally and
financially. As we start our school year with distance learning instruction, we need our
CCMS community more than ever to rally together and invest in our school and students,
actively supporting the excellent academic, social-emotional and extracurricular programs
that the school offers. A large part of these programs are funded by the CCMS PTSA and
Panther Partners (Booster Club).
ANNOUNCEMENTS, CLASSES, BELL SCHEDULES AND MORE!
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year! CCMS is proud to begin the year with Virtual Panther Prep on Thursday, August 20th and Friday, August 21st. Panther Prep are two days of student workshops designed to prepare students for all the ins and outs of school based on their grade level. Students will learn about the Distance Learning plan for Fall 2020, how to Zoom with their teachers, how to navigate Google Classroom, how to access the Aeries students portal and much more!
- 0 period PE and 0 period Accelerated Math 6 begin Tuesday, August 25th.
- 0 period Biology Honors starts on Thursday, August 20th.
- 1st period geometry for CCMS students also starts on Thursday, August 20th.
- 6th period geometry for CCMS students starts on Friday, August 21st.
- All other students begin their day with period 1 Monday, August 24th at 8:30am.
- Make sure to check Aeries as of August 10th for the most up to date class schedule. Some students may still be moved after registration as we balance class sizes.
- 6th grade students who entered the 0 period lottery will be able to see any updates to their schedule in Aeries.
Bell Schedule for Thursday Aug 20 and Friday Aug 21
Teachers' Classroom Codes will be available in the CCMS Edlio HW Site. Students will need to access each of their teacher's Virtual Classrooms to find the Zoom link for the live meetings the first two days of school. More detailed instruction to come!
Exciting and New This Year!
All students will have a grade-level Panther Pod with an assigned teacher, and Pods will meet weekly on Wednesdays for 30 minutes. Teachers (along with counselors and administrators) will use this time for school announcements, enrichment opportunities, themed-month activities, social-emotional curriculum, and student-to-student connections.
Look for Panther Pods on your new schedule!
Need a Schedule Change?
- In person during registration
- By completing the Schedule Change Request Form (Easiest and Preferred!)
- By emailing your child's designating counselor and explaining the request
- By booking an appointment time to speak with your child's designated counselor
Sarah Slemmons (Last Names A-E and R)
Jeanine Lizotte (Last Names F-K and S)
Terence Brown (Last Names L-Q and T-Z)
Please review the summer reading assignments to ensure you are prepared for the beginning of the class. Teachers will collect them during the first week of class and may plan other assignments based on the reading. Don't fall behind--finish reading and your assignment before school starts!
AFTER SCHOOL CLASSES AND SPORTS INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION
CCMS IMPROV After School Program Info
CCMS is the largest and longest-running after school program at CCMS. Started in 2011, 100+ students participate each year.
Improv is a comprehensive study of game-based, short form improvisation directed and taught by award-winning professional improvisers Eric Price, Sarah Parga, and Eddie Quintana.
Students learn, practice, and perform fundamentals of improvisation as well as advanced concepts and skills (scene study, character work, styles, genres, and musical improvisation). Most importantly, students develop essential life skills such as acceptance, commitment, flexibility, courage, collaboration, critical thinking, and kindness. No experience of any kind is necessary; only commitment and positive attitude are required!
Please see our short informational video at ccmsimprov.com, and check out the flyer below for additional information.
Registration begins Aug 18 ~ classes start Sep 14. Register at ccmsimprov.com
Panther Partners After School Classes
Panther Partners After School Classes/ASC program is offering a dynamic selection of virtual learning classes for Fall 2020. Classes will start September 7, 2020 ( Labor Day week) and run through the week of December 11, 2020. That’s 14 weeks of classes!
We recommend EARLY registration to ensure enrollment in the class you choose.
Enrollment is first come, first served and will close once the limit is met.
Please note: Classes that do not meet enrollment minimums will be cancelled.
SCHOLARSHIPS ARE AVAILABLE UPON THE OPENING OF REGISTRATION.
STAY TUNED FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON DATES, TIMES, COSTS, AND SCHOLARSHIPS!
PP ASC will be offering:
Beginning & Continuing French
3 different art classes
Mathcounts & Math Olympiad
Digital Skills for Entrepreneurs (coding)
Creative Web Design (coding)
Magic: The Gathering
Stay tuned to the Paw Print and check on out social media and websites below for announcements of open registration. https://www.facebook.com/groups/PantherPartnersofCCMS,
Note About Sports
Due to virtual learning and restrictions for on-campus activities, CCMS sports are currently on hold for the Fall semester.
In the event that sports can be offered later in the semester and/or next semester, we still anticipate a significant impact on our middle school sports program, as CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) has combined three seasons of high school sports into two seasons. Since we share coaches and facilities with the high school, the middle school may not be able to offer all sports during the 2020-2021 school year. We will make every effort to do so and are in close contact with CCHS and CIF for guidance on how to keep sports fun and safe at CCMS.
In the meantime, if you would like to take care of your child's sports physical in the event that we will be able to offer sports sometime this year, sports physicals are available at the Sandy Segal Youth Health Center on campus on September 14, 21, and 28 in the mornings. Scheduling is available now. Please call 310-392-8636 and request your child's appointment at the Sandy Segal Youth Health Center.
RESOURCES FOR PARENTS
On Twitter, Instagram and Facebook @CulverCityMS