Southwest Early Childhood Center
2015 National School of Character
THERE WILL BE NO WATER IN OUR BUILDING FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12th! So if you are in the building you will not be able to use the water!
Southwest Early Childhood Center
- I want to thank Derek and Sherrill for coming to my rescue yesterday as I was sliding down Delaware back into Missouri Blvd after testing and observing a couple kiddos out at a day care. Those guys are always nice enough to go WAY above and beyond for kids and staff and I AM SO GRATEFUL!!!~Beth
- Shout out to the therapists that are helping the teachers load busses at the end of each
I would like to shout out to Shiloh and Anna. Not only did they carry on when I was called out of class for an urgent manner, but when the reader didn't show up at our library time they both read to our class and Mrs. Gresham's class. ~Lisa W.
A huge thank you to Lisa Dierking for agreeing to give one on one Conscious Discipline help to a mother who is struggling with her child's behavior, is dyslexic and unable to use printed material. I appreciate it SO much Lisa! ~Leslie
Derek and Sherrill for helping put a new battery in Laura Thomas' car! You seriously are the BEST!
Shout out to all aides for helping make the Kindergarten registration process a WAY EASIER process. And also for allowing parent to get to their conferences on time!
Thanks to those of you that helped me with the "The road to success is always under construction" bulletin board! If you haven't yet, take a moment to look at our parents' goals!~Dierking
Sondra and Eggen for giving me a Valentine's Day box for my son!! ~Yates
Huge Shout out to Derek for keeping me from a car accident during the snow on Wednesday! He talked me through my slide down the hill in my car and then brought back salt so I could get out of the road and on to the rest of my day!!! HE is so awesome and kind and encouraging!~Jobe
Nuts and Bolts
- Summer School Info: Summer School applications will be available through Talent Ed from February 24th-April 1st. interested staff will need to apply through Talent Ed during this time frame. A head teacher will be selected. Summer School Salaries: Certified Staff $3000, Clerks who remain until routes clear $2000, paraprofessionals $1540. First round hiring will be determined based on enrollment on April 15th. If additional hiring is needed it will occur for enrollment May 3rd. Dates for Summer School are: Tuesday, May 31st-Thursday, June 23rd. Summer School will be in session a total of 16 days.
Week 2: Monday, June 6-Thursday, June 9
Week 3: Monday, June 13-Thursday, June 16
Week 4: Monday, June 20-Thursday, June 23
*Teachers will need to turn in a copy of their certificate with the application in order to be hired for the position. You can access this information from the DESE website by going to: https://k12apps.ese.mo.gov/WebLogin/login.aspx Next go to page of Office of Educator Quality and choose Educator Certification System-Request Educator access. Print off your info and attach it to you application.
- Please include in all classroom newsletters: Title Preschool Screening Appointments will be scheduled beginning April 4th. Screening will be Tuesday, May 31st-Friday, June 3rd. Have parents call 659-3026 beginning on April 4th.
The Technology Info:
Most people know and use the keyboard shortcuts for cut, copy and paste but here are some other useful shortcuts. For a Mac use the Apple key instead of control.
Find - Control F - When you are on a webpage, document or spreadsheet and looking for something specific you can hit Control F, enter a specific word you are looking for in the text box that appears and then you can find exactly what you are looking for on that page.
Select all - Control A - When you want to select everything in a document to copy or cut you can click Control A to select everything.
Print - Control P - Brings up the print options.
Undo - Control Z - When you want to undo a change you made to a document hit Control Z.The following link will take you to this helpful "trouble Shooting" technology page: https://docs.google.com/a/jcschools.us/document/d/1U95cXvC3euL6jOIAii6iY-U7JYZ8BhzwrCvdz8iyStg/edit?usp=sharing
4 year old Title and ECSE Teachers and transition spreadsheet: All classroom teachers of students going to kindergarten need to access the link emailed to you to add additional comments on your students that will help their next year's teacher. For example, social stories are extremely helpful before transitions/thrives on extra attention/etc. You will be able to access and make additional notes if needed through the rest of this year however, we need all 4/5 year old teachers to make these comments on the shared spreadsheet by February 26th.
A community visitor will be here on Thursday, February 18th at 9:00. If you would like to showcase something you are doing in your room between 9 and 10, please email me by Tuesday, February 16th.
On February 25, SWECC is hosting an early childhood character education summit and so far around 30 different people are signed up from various schools. These 30 people will tour SWECC from 9:15-9:45. The group will be in the gym from 9 to 12 so the gym will be closed at this time. If you would like to showcase something in your classroom between 9:15-9:45 please email me by February 19th! You guys are doing great things so let's show it off!
- 71% of our 3 year old parents have attended at least 1 parent meeting!
- 69% of our 4 year old parents have attended at least 1 parent meeting!
- 38% of our ECSE parent have attended at least 1 parent meeting (that's double from the end of the year last year!)
And the Winner is..."I think little Danny is trying to tell us something, said Angry in a muffled voice to his friends!"
All Submissions will be hung in the lounge if you need some laughter! Thanks for playing! Winner come see the office as you will receive a fabulous prize!
Conscious Discipline Corner:
At the Parent Meetings:
- Parents received the "Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline" book at the January parent meeting. Parents focused on Encouragement during this meeting!
- Remind yourself at least five times per day, "What I focus on, I get more of." Remind yourself of this when you wake up, at meals, at bedtime and whenever you are upset (Easy to love, Difficult to Discipline, p. 35)
General Reminders of why we do what we do:
Consciously breathing (by being a STAR) releases toxins from the body, improves the immune system, balances the nervous system, turns off the stress response, facilitates weight loss, helps release unhealthy memories and stifled emotions, and integrates our brain to engage the higher centers for optimal functioning. (Feeling Buddies Curriculum p. 70)
Love travels from the worthy to the worthy. To extend love to others, you must love yourself. (Easy to Love Difficult to Discipline, p.10)
Discipline isn't something you do to children; it's something you develop within them. (Becky Bailey)