TJH Update #3
August 16, 2020
"Grab & Go" PTSA School Supplies & Requested Technology on 8/17 & 8/18 at TJH!
When will you have "Grab & Go" distribution of technology? You will receive email confirmation on “Grab and Go” distribution requested technology devices. This distribution will happen on the 17th and 18th. Note: These communications will be sent via email and to only individuals who have made a technology request.
Frequently asked Questions & Answers
I know you have received lots of information about the upcoming school year. However, we compiled a few the frequently asked questions.
1. When will schedules be visible? Schedules will be visible in HAC-Home Access Center on the 17th. (Due to the changes in the way we scheduled classes - we aren't sure what the parent & student view will look like until it goes live.)
2. What do students need to do to be ready leading up to the first day? Students need to make sure they can log into their My Katy Cloud and get to their Canvas account. Directions on how to do that can be found here. (Please go to page 4 for directions.) Teachers will be posting introductory videos on the 18th during the day so students can connect and see who their teachers are.
3. When will you have "Grab & Go" distribution of technology? You will receive email confirmation on “Grab and Go” distribution requested technology devices. This distribution will happen on the 17th and 18th. Note: These communications will be sent via email and to only individuals who have made a technology request.
4. How do I request technology? CLICK HERE
5. When will you distribute textbooks? All content areas have an online textbook resource located in Canvas.
6. What do students need to do the first day? Students will log in to their Canvas account on the bell schedule on Wednesday, August 19th. They should log in a couple minutes before class starts to make sure they get the first day information. The link for their first period class will be posted on the Canvas page for that course.
7. What will learning look like the first day? Teachers will focus on making connections with students, learning names, and sharing about themselves and the course they teach.
8. What will the regular schedule be? The bell schedule listed in below is the schedule that will be followed for the first three weeks for KVA and intermittent online students. The schedule will be the same every day.
9. What should students expect for instruction? The same three elements will be present in all courses: instruction, practice, and assessment. Some days teachers will deliver instruction, some days they will assign work that needs to be completed during the period and some days they will give assessments. Teachers will use Canvas to ensure parents and students know what to expect for the coming week.
10. How will I know how to read the HAC schedule? We will be creating a short video to explain how to read the schedule in HAC. We will send it out and post it on our social media sites.
Hope this answers some of your questions as we lead up to the start of the 2020-21 school year! We will send more information before school starts!
What about PTSA purchased School supplies and Spiritwear?
Parents who ordered school supplies through the PTSA will be able to pick-up their supplies during the Tays Junior High “Grab and Go” pick-up on 8/17 and 8/18. On a sheet of paper please print your student’s name(s), grade(s), parent name and display it in your passenger side window. (If you are enrolled in “KVA” please write KVA (Katy Virtual Academy). School supply pick-up will be available on Monday, August 17, and Tuesday, August 18 from 8:30-10:30 am and from 12:00-2:00 pm. Evening pick-up is only available on Monday, August 17 from 4:00-6:00 pm. Please contact Salma at email@example.com with questions.
Spirit Gear is tentatively scheduled for pick-up on August 31 and September 1. Details for Spirit Gear pick-up will be available closer to the pick-up dates.
Information from KISD on how to get temporary IDs
Dear Katy ISD Parents and Guardians,
Tomorrow, we start our campus “Grab and Go” distributions at school sites! Student-requested devices, elementary IDs, and other school information will be handed out to students and families. Campuses have been communicating to families their specific “Grab and Go” schedules for August 17 and 18.
Please keep in mind that all students will need a temporary student ID badge in order to pick up materials at their campus at “Grab and Go” distributions tomorrow and Tuesday. If you have not already done so, you may download your student’s temporary ID badge by following the directions that can be found here. Parents can show the temporary ID badge by either printing it out or showing the temporary badge on their smartphones.
If you do not know your student’s ID and password:
- As a parent you can find your student’s ID by accessing the Katy OntheGo app
- If your student does not remember the password from the 2019 – 2020 school year, you can reset it by utilizing the Katy ISD Password Self Service Tool.
- Parents should bring their government-issued ID if they do not know their student’s ID number or password
While elementary students will be able to pick up their permanent student ID badge at their “Grab and Go” this week, secondary students will receive their permanent badges on a later date. Secondary campuses will soon communicate additional information about specific dates and times for distributions of permanent student ID badges for their students.
Schedule Info from the Counselors
Student schedules will be available to view on the Home Access Center. Students will need to use their KISD Login information. Please make sure your schedule reflects your 4 Core Classes, Lunch, Advisory, and Electives/PE. Elective choices are very limited and many students have been placed in their alternate elective that was indicated on their course selection sheet.
Reasons Schedule Change Needed:
Error in Schedule, example missing a lunch
Level Changes, example KAP to ACA
Elective changes based on availability only
We cannot honor requests for lunch changes or teacher changes.
KVA Specific Schedule Information:
Some courses are scheduled outside the normal school day to accommodate for specialized classes. As a result, some students may have holes in their schedule in periods 1-8.
KVA Study Hall, Leadworthy, Athletics, Engineering, and Manufacturing, will be listed in periods 15-18.
KVA PE may be listed in 2nd, 3rd, or 15th period.
Off Campus PE Applicants
Students seeking a PE Waiver will need to turn in a completed application no later than Friday, August 22.
Students who requested a PE waiver but did not turn in a completed packet will receive an updated schedule to reflect PE in lieu of off campus PE.
Counselors will respond to requests in the order in which they are received and will notify students/parents once the change is complete. Communication will be made if a request cannot be fulfilled.
SUPPORT OUR SCHOOL & GET SAVINGS FROM SHUTTERFLY!
If you order pictures or other items using our storefront, our school will earn money to use to support our programs. Please use this link to get to our page.