Active Living For Youth
How active are you?
How much physical activity do youth need?
It is recommended that youth (ages 12-17) should have at least 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity per day, but, more exercise is even better! How active are you?
Be active - At home, at school, at play - Inside or outside - With family and friends.
For example, you could choose to:
- Walk, run or bike instead of getting a ride
- Find something you enjoy -- bowling, soccer, toboggan, take the dog for a walk, ride a bike, dance to your favourite music, join a sports team at your school.
Bowling gives opportunities for socializing.
Soccer will give you an aerobic workout, keeps you in shape, and offers opportunities for socializing.
Swimming will give you an aerobic workout, keeps you in shape, and offers opportunities for socializing.
The Health Benefits of Physical Activity are ENORMOUS!!!!!!!!!
- Improved fitness
- Stronger bones and healthy muscles
- Better Posture and balance
- Stronger heart
- Healthy growth and development
- Increased concentration
- Better academic scores
- Improved self-esteem
- Lower stress
- Opportunities for socializing
- More energy