Creative Cooking Italian Recipe
Syrena's Penne Mac & Cheese
Penne Mac and Cheese
- 1 box (16 ounces) penne rigate
- 3/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 pound Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-quart broiler safe oval baking dish
- non-stick cooking spray
- large bowl
- medium-size sauce pan
- whisk and spoons
-measuring cups/ tablespoons
Adding salt to water adds flavor to the water, which is absorbed by the food.
Salt is also added to the water to increases the boiling point of the water, meaning your water will have a higher temperature when you add the pasta
So, your pasta will cook and taste better!
(If you don't want a very rich and cheesy mac and cheese, you can substitute some more milk for some of the Gruyere or Asiago cheese. )
this shows 2 and 1/2 cups of the cheese mixture to add to the flour/milk mixture
This is the mixture once that 2 and 1/2 cups mixed cheese is added= now the cheese sauce.
Add the cheese sauce to the penne. Mix well!
picture shows half of the pasta and a generous layer of the remaining cheeses.
add another layer of pasta mixture, (then after this top with all remaining cheeses).
this is what it will look like before it goes in the oven.