An Interview With Mr. Morgan
By Xyla-Jo Richardson
Who is Mr. Morgan?
Bachelor of Business Administration in Management from Texas State University
Master's of Business Administration in Management from Washburn University
Mr. Morgan is an AVID teacher at Elgin High School. AVID is class that helps you get organized and prepared for what college will be like. This class is taught to the 9th and 10th grades. He has been teaching this for 1 year at EHS working on his second.
Some information on his background of his teaching history:
Coach Morgan began his teaching career in Austin ISD but started coaching as a Graduate Assistant at Washburn University. He then moved back to Topeka High School in 1994 and came to Texas to coach at Austin Reagan in 1998. He also was the head coach at Johnston & Crockett High Schools until moving to Elgin in 2014 as Head Boys Basketball Coach and Assistant Track Coach. Coach Morgan is also a volunteer coach with the NBDL Austin Spurs Open Free Agent Tryout Camp and was named the 2013 District 26-4A Coach of the Year.
**Information in bold cited from Mr. Morgan's teacher website http://www.elginisd.net/Domain/660
More about Mr. Morgan
- Grades taught: 9 and 10
- Classes taught: AVID and a Basketball/ Tenis coach
- The classroom in which he works in is very inspirational. You walk in and you see flags from different colleges and quotes on the walls.
- He says he puts in an average of 65 hours a week
- Biggest challenges: Juggling the responsibility of teaching, coaching, and maintaining a healthy relashionship with family
- Biggest reward: Seeing students accomplish their goals and knowing that he helped make that happen
- From 1-10 (ten being the most) there is a 10 in the self motivation needed for his job.
- He chose to teach AVID he says it helps kids learn stratigies used in life
- Mr. Morgan's wife inspires him the most because she encourages him in the times when he thinks he can't do something.