BCSD News & Information
January 17, 2021
January 18 - No School, MLK Day
January 21 - End of 1st Semester
January 22 - No School, Teacher Work Day
January 25 - Grades 6-12 (in-person & TVLA) No School, Teacher Work Day
■ ■ ■ ■ ■
Second Semester Changes - Grades 6-12
- Monday, January 25th will be a work day for staff in grades 6-12. Grades 6-12 students will have no school.
- Beginning Tuesday, January 26th grades 6-12 students will attend school 4 days a week with a synchronous remote learning day on Fridays.
- Building administrators will be sharing the remote schedule with staff and students this week.
To ensure a safe building environment, the following protocols and procedures will be in place during in-person learning:
- Masks will be worn by students and staff.
- Social distancing will be followed to the greatest extent possible.
- Families are asked to complete a Daily Health Assessment before coming to school. If your child’s temperature is greater than 100.4 degrees, or he or she is exhibiting signs of illness, please keep them home.
- Families are required to report any COVID positive cases for students and follow quarantine protocols when identified as a close contact.
If you have specific questions regarding return to in-person instruction or your child's learning model, please reach out to your child's guidance counselor.
■ ■ ■ ■ ■
■ ■ ■ ■ ■
BCSD Staff Shout-out
Please join me once again in recognizing and celebrating staff members of the Berea City School District and the measures that they take to care for your child each and every day.
If there is a staff member that you or your child would like to recognize (bus driver, teacher, principal, school counselor, secretary, etc.) please let me know.
Our staff has been doing such an awesome job during these very difficult times, and your support and words of encouragement matter!
Tracy L. Wheeler
■ ■ ■ ■ ■
DEADLINE APPROACHING - DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE TASK FORCE
In 2020, the Berea Board of Education passed a Resolution of Commitment to Equity and Excellence in Education. As part of this commitment, the Berea City School District is inviting students, parents, staff, and community members to participate in a Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Task Force that will meet once a month throughout the school year. This task force will identify strengths, areas of growth, and a plan of action as it relates to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism in the school district.
What this IS:
- A space to listen and learn from each others lived experiences within BCSD.
- Dialogue focused on identifying past successes, areas of growth, and a shared vision for the future.
- An opportunity to come together as a community to set collective goals, engage in solutions-oriented action-planning, and enact positive change in our school district.
What this IS NOT:
- A time to argue, debate, demean, or put-down the ideas and experiences of other members.
- A one-time community conversation; this will be an on-going initiative and commitment to long-term growth in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism within the district.
The Berea City School District is partnering with The Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio to aid in the design, development, facilitation, and support of the task force. The Diversity Center is a human relations organization that has been dedicated to eliminating bias, bigotry, and racism in Northeast Ohio for over 90 years. Originally founded as the National Conference for Christians and Jews (NCCJ), today they focus on increasing knowledge, raising awareness, and building skills to help create communities that are safe, respectful, and inclusive to all members. The Diversity Center supports workplaces, communities, and schools across seven counties throughout Northeast Ohio. They are proud to have engaged over 10,000 student participants and 2,500 adult participants in the 2019-2020 school year.
If you are interested in participating in this task force, please fill out this form by January 22.
■ ■ ■ ■ ■
BEREA PTA COUNCIL PRESENTS: THE UPSTANDERS - Don't forget to sign up!
Virtually join the Berea PTA Council on January 28th for a screening of The Upstanders, an IndieFlix Original Documentary about resiliency and the power of peers to end bullying. It explores cyber-bullying, bullying among friends, families, co-workers and the brain science behind it all. It also highlights new laws and programs already reducing bullying in schools and shows us how we can learn to make a difference together to create systemic change. This film is intended for parents, caregivers, educators, and students ages 13 and older.
- Watch the movie trailer
- This movie will be available to the first 500 people that sign up.
To sign up, please complete this form.
If you have any questions, please contact Becky Conroy at email@example.com.