Reading and Staying Active
Best Practice in Reading and Physical Education
Best Practice Qualities for Reading Teachers
- Provide Visual Aids to compare to text.
- Model their own cognitive process for students to example.
- Create a classroom environment that is set up for collaboration.
- Make texts accessible.
- Reader has access for the text to be read aloud.
- Provide background knowledge before reading.
- Focus on Meaning
- Read aloud
- Should be done at all levels
- Do anything to get students to read.
- Allow beginners the opportunity to interact with print.
- Participating in shared book experiences
- Acting stories out.
- Opportunity for success
- Give the students choice
- Balance challenging books with easy books
- Teach reading as thinking
- Support students
- Explain how reading is a tool for learning.
- Daily discussion about reading
- Provide writing experiences.
Physical Education Goals
Tools to become an effective Physical Education Educator
- Differentiation and Maximize activity time
- Promote Skill development
- Stay up to date with National Standards and Best Practices in Teaching
- Promotes a physically active lifestyle
- Provides a safe and fun learning environment
- Provides a sufficient amount of equipment for each student
- Gives positive feedback
- Set high expectations
- Provide students with experiences that encourage students to apply, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate various concepts related to motor skills, fitness, and physical activity participation.