Room 25 Fall News
November - December 2013
Upcoming Events and Important Dates to Remember...
- Friday, 11/15 Coyote Party to reward excellent behavior earned in pullout classes. Students voted on a Pajamas & Movie party. Please send in any "G" rated movies by Friday so students can vote on what to watch!
- The SSF Book Fair is coming! We are looking for volunteers to help Mrs. Reist run the Fair; please sign up on her wiki (use your child's login information). Book Fair dates: Friday, 11/15 - Thursday, 11/22. Parents MUST accompany after school shoppers!
- Thanksgiving Gathering: Friday, November 22 from 1:30 - 2:15pm in Room 25. Our fourth graders will participate in a philanthropy project benefitting the U.S. military and their families. More information will be sent via email from our room coordinators.
- Thanksgiving Break is Monday 11/25 - Friday 11/29. Enjoy this special season with your family! See you back in school on Monday, December 2nd.
- Tuesday, December 3 is #GivingTuesday, a day to help in our community! Room 25 will walk to Helen Woodward Animal Center at 8:45am to assist in a community service project: painting signs for the Frosty Farms winter event. We will return to school by 10:15am. PERMISSION SLIPS and CHAPERONE WAIVERS will be sent home in Friday's WOW Folder. Please return them by Wednesday, 11/20! To chaperone, simply sign the waiver on the back of the permission slip; the more the merrier!
- Winter Holiday Gathering: Friday, 12/20 from 1:30 - 2:15pm in Room 25. Students will participate in a philanthropy project, and will celebrate the winter holidays with light snacks and activities. All parents welcome. More information to come via our fabulous room parents!
Thank you...Thank you... Thank YOU!
Thank you for your participation in our PTO Membership Drive! Last I heard, we reached 100% participation in our class! Without your continued donations, our programs would not be able to continue and our school would not be the successful learning establishment that it is!
One last thank you for taking the time to meet with me over parent-teacher conference week. I appreciate the opportunity to speak with you face to face, to learn more about your child, and to share your child's progress with you!
"What did you do in school today?"
Ask your child to show you a few minutes of a flipped learning math video. They should be taking notes on each video, so ask to see their notes. Ask, “Would you share one of your math chat responses with me?” We use the backchannel https://todaysmeet.com/RainvilleMathChat.
Your child should be reading 20 minutes per day. Check in and ask them about the characters in their pleasure-reading book. What is the plot? Can they summarize what they’ve read so far? Ask, “I’ve heard you’ve started a novel study in class called Riding Freedom, what’s that about? Can you share your written responses with me on Google Drive?”
Social Studies & Writing:
“What California region are you studying for your CA Indian essay and Keynote?” “How did the Indians you studied use the land and natural resources to live a life rich in culture?” “How is your Keynote coming along?” “How do you create a Keynote?” “Are you struggling with anything?” “May I see your essay rough draft, maybe we can do some editing together!”
“Let’s log in to Edmodo and check your science lab grades.” “I hear you’re going to study static electricity next; maybe we can look online tonight and try an experiment at home?” “Which science labs have you enjoyed the most?” “Can you show me a lab write-up in your Google Drive account?”
In addition to P.E. each week, Mrs. Rainville leads the fourth graders in 4th Grade Fitness in the FAB on Tuesday mornings. We are working on fitness goals like: cardiovascular endurance, strength, balance, and flexibility. “What is your goal for 4th Grade Fitness? What do you find challenging? What do you find easy?”