The Titan Times Newsletter: Week 2
"There's 'gnome' place like River Place."
In this Edition:
- Message from the Principal
- Mark Your Calendars
- Attendance Information
- Dismissal Information
- School Dismissal Manager
- Sign up for Smart Tag (Bus Riders)
- School Breakfast and Lunch
- Counselor's Corner
- Ways to Stay Engaged
Welcome to the First Full Week of School
Last week was impeccable and refreshing! Let's keep the energy and motivation high again for this week, Titans! We. Can. Do. It! This is the week where you start to see a good flow to your family and work life as schedules start to align. However, your child (and maybe you) may start showing some reluctance to rise early each day with a PRIDE mindset. But, please- don't lose hope! Once your child comes to school and feels the energy throughout the building, they come to life, and we hope that vibe transfers to your home. "How?" you ask. Keep reading!
This week launches our weekly Titan Twist to support our connection from school to home. Below you will see an infographic explaining how we will connect as a campus with you to build our PRIDE this year. Each day has a theme to help us engage with one another through dress, mindset, and communication. We look forward to building PRIDE throughout the year with you!
This week we will start to reintroduce "Titan Time" Fridays on our campus. This was a cherished past time on our campus prior to the pandemic, and we are thrilled to start it up again. What is it you ask? Titan Time is where we come together as a campus community to celebrate and connect in the MPR/gym from 7:10- 7:40 AM. To launch Titan Time, we will meet with two grade levels at a time first to instill routines and expectations with our student body. This week, we will start with 4th and 5th grades, our big kid leaders of the campus. The following week will be with 2nd and 3rd grades and then Kinder and 1st grade. We look forward to having all Titans together as we engage in our school song as a campus and other familiar traditions we are proudly bringing back and new practices we cannot wait to launch. This is an exciting time for sure!
In this edition, there are a couple of reminders about everyday school life that need some attention based on our campus logistics and your child's well being, so please read carefully to ensure we know how to support your child's transportation, snack/lunch preferences, and other needs. One important tip is that school dismissal manager (SDM) is our primary attendance and dismissal system. Please input as much information as possible for each of your students, ie. approved transportation release guardians, default dismissal, phone numbers, email addresses, etc. We will follow what is “in the system” for your student if there is any question at the end of the day. Please note: This means an email or note to the teacher is much appreciated, BUT it is not sufficient to create a change in the system. Please use SDM. Also note that If you need to pick up your student(s) early from school, you must do so before 2:15 PM. Please look at our upcoming events and consider adding them to your family's activity calendar. Lastly, if you need support with any of this information, please feel free to call us at 512-570-6900. We are here to serve!
Dr. Amy Sharp, Proud RPE Principal
Mark Your Calendars
- 31st: Kinder Curriculum Night 5:00- 6:30 PM There will be a presentation in the kinder classroom with time for questions and answers at the end.
- 1st: Visitors May Start Coming Back to Campus and Grades 1- 5 Curriculum Night with two information sessions offered: 5:00- 5:45 PM and 6:00- 6:45 PM
- 5th: Labor Day- No School
- 13th: APEX Pep Rally at 1:30 PM and Start of Fundraiser
- 14th: PTA General Meeting at 6 PM in the Cafeteria
- 15th: International Dot Day! Learn more here. Wear your dots!
- 18- October 15th: National Hispanic Heritage Month
- 23rd: APEX fun run!
- 26th: Staff Development Day (No School for Students)
This details the entire school year's student holidays, staff development days, early release, etc.
REMINDERS FOR YOUR TITAN(S)
MUST KNOW: Attendance Information
Regular and punctual attendance is the greatest single factor in school success. Texas Compulsory Attendance Law requires students to attend school regularly, unless otherwise exempted by law. It is the responsibility of the parent and student to cooperate and communicate with the school on all attendance matters. The key to high school graduation is strong school attendance and parental involvement. Proper documentation must be provided by the student and/or parent/guardian within 48 hours of the student’s return to school after an absence. See LISD Parent & Student Handbook for complete attendance policy.
If your child arrives late because they were at a doctor's appointment that day - please be sure to check into the front office with a doctor's note that shows your child had an appointment that day.
Please email all other attendance notes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
MUST DO: School Dismissal Information
** ASAP, please assign or update a default transportation IF you have not done so already. **
Setting Up School Dismissal Manager:
Step 1: You should have received an email about the School Dismissal Manager (SDM) system that RPE uses to support our campus dismiss process on August 16th. PLEASE check your junk mail/spam folder by searching School Dismissal Manager. You will find your log in credentials at the top of the email and you will be prompted to set up a password for your account. Next, you will set your child’s dismissal information. If you are having trouble, please reach out to Natasha Lewis at email@example.com
Step 2: Please download the School Dismissal Manager App or save the School Dismissal Manager website, on your phone or your computer, so you can always have it handy.
**If you already have the app, from last year, when you open the application, it will prompt your to update your version. It is very easy to do so! This application is a one stop shop where you can set your child’s permanent mode of transportation and also make changes as needed to their dismissal selection. The application will be used by parents who wish to make a transportation change for their child. Please note that all transportation changes must be made in the system by 1:35PM on normal school days.
Step 3: If your child is a car rider, you will need to fill out a Car Tag. We will have Car Tags available at the front office. You will need to show your card tag in the pick up line each day.
You should include the following information:
- First and Last name of student(s) (if you have multiple students please list all names)
- Student grade level and teacher's name
SDM website: https://www.schooldismissalmanager.com/mobile/login.html
- Login: parent email address
- Password: sent in original SDM email, then parent will be forced to re-set new password
Bus Information: ROUTE NUMBERS WITH BUS NUMBERS
Leander ISD’s TransFinder’s InfoFinder software allows LISD parents to get information on their students’ bus stop locations and times by simply entering their street address and the student’s grade level. TransFinder will then give you a map showing your child’s assigned elementary or secondary bus stop.
- If you are unsure if your address receives bus service, please click on the TransFinder link above and enter in your home address.
- If your child does qualify for bussing services, please see the SMART Tag registration information below to set up their account.
SMART Tag (Bus Riders only)
The Leander ISD Transportation Department uses SMART Tag – a system that provides accurate, near real-time monitoring of where and when students load onto and unload off of their school bus – to help promote student safety and security, keeping parents, school administrators and the district’s transportation department more informed. Bus riders are issued a SMART card, which they scan as they get on and off the bus.
SMART Tag Parent Portal
Parents and guardians can go to the SMART Tag Parent Portal and select Register to begin the registration process. Once registered, parents and guardians can sign up for SMART Alerts to receive a text message notification 10 to 15 minutes before the bus arrives at their child’s bus stop. While on the bus, the Parent Portal also provides a live map to see bus’ location in near real time.
To complete the registration, you will need the following:
- The campus name of your child
- Your child’s student ID number
- Your child’s date of birth
For additional information, please visit the LISD Transportation Website.
This is what your screen will look like in SMART Tag:
(The AM and PM noted is not a time. It is the number that you'll see on the actual bus.)
THIS IS OUR BUS CORRELATION TO SUPPORT YOU.
Please remember that the street in front of our school becomes ONE WAY during arrival (7:05 - 8:00am) & dismissal times (2:20-3:00pm). During this time the traffic in front of our school on Sitio Del Rio Blvd should flow one way ONLY--traffic entering from River Place Blvd. and driving towards FM 2222. If parking in the parking lot in front of our school for drop off or pick up during these times, you should follow the flow of traffic, making a LEFT turn as you exit the parking area.
********Please be sure to let staff open and close your car door. There is no need for you to exit your car to support us. This should help the line move quicker. As a reminder, students should be exited the car from the left side of the vehicle. ************
Car Rider Dismissal Update
In order to speed up the line and distance students more effectively, we have transitioned to a 2-lane pick-up system.
- Kinder - 2nd (and families who have a K-2 student and a 3-5 student) Enter car rider via River Place Blvd & stay in the left lane. These children will be picked up under the awning like they currently are. If they have a sibling in an older grade, the older sibling will also get picked up here. After pick up, they will turn left like always, and exit out the back of the school. A teacher will be posted to help you merge.
- 3rd - 5th Graders Enter car rider via Sitio Del Rio stay & stay in the right lane. Your students will be picked up on the field side of the blacktop (passenger side of the car). You will then continue straight and exit out the back of the school.
We are hoping that these changes will allow for a much smoother process. Again, teachers will be placed along the route directing and helping merge as well.
Child Nutrition Services (CNS)
- Student Free Breakfast: $0.00
- Student Paid Breakfast: $1.50
- Student Free Lunch: $0.00
- Student Paid Lunch: $2.90
- Guest Breakfast: $2.50
- Guest Lunch: $4.00
Online Payment Options:
- Easily make payments to your student’s account through Titan School Solutions.
- Please note: We are now live with online payments! Parents should be able to deposit money into their students’ accounts via Titan. Parents will always have the option to send their students to school with cash or check if they wish to deposit funds that way.
- Titan Family Connect App for iPhone | Titan Family Connect App for Android
Free & Reduced Meals
LISD provides free and reduced-price (F&R) meals for children approved for the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). To apply for this program, submit an application online, or download, print, and submit one of these forms:
- F&R Application in English | F&R Application in Spanish
- Letter to Households in English | Letter to Households in Spanish
- F&R Meal Application Directions in English | F&R Meal Application Directions in Spanish
- There are several snack items students may purchase that are not part of the breakfast/lunch meal and have extra associated costs. These items range in price from $.50 to $3.50.
- If you would like to limit the amount your child is able to spend out of their account, you can set up an account through Titan School Solutions, add your children to your account, then set your own spending limits, or by using one of these forms: Elementary Snack Limit Form
Counselor's Corner with Ms. Jennifer Randall
If you need support with getting school supplies, please reach out to our school counselor, Ms. Jennifer Randall, at firstname.lastname@example.org
WAYS TO STAY CONNECTED ON CAMPUS
APEX IS COMING SEPTEMBER 13TH! GET READY!
Learn more about how you can support our literacy program by volunteering to read to our Titans!
River Place Elementary Titan Community
Here are our Titan Community Communication Tools-
- River Place Elementary School Website
- Twitter Account
- PTA Facebook Page
- Remind App for River Place Insiders