Week of February 15th
All that and a Bag of Chips!
All that and a bag of chips goes to....
Mr. Duncan and Mr. Cox for helping the custodian set up the stage for student pictures.
Ms. Miller and Ms. Ellis for the Valentine Day treats from HOPS!
Ms. Hoyle for being such a positive team player and always very flexible!
JA for a Day!
Preparing our Students for the 21st Century
Social Skills – February 16 – 19, 2016
Our social skill for the week of February 16 – 19 is a review of “Meeting New People”. When you meet a new person, make sure that you remember their names. When they leave, make sure you mention their names as they go. People respect you more when you refer to them by their name. So let’s remember new people’s names by including it in conversation when we talk to them.
You can have your students practice this by doing the following:
Put them in pairs, assigning one person as an ‘A’ person and the other as the ‘B’ person
1. Give them 1 minute to complete a conversation about what they did last night – do this twice…the first time:
2. Person ‘A’ will ask the question “What did you do last night?” and leave out their partner’s name – don’t say it!
3. Person ‘B’ will respond by answering the question and they will NOT say their partner’s name – don’t say it!
4. Repeat the question “What did you do last night?” and this time:
5. Person ‘A’ will ask the question and include their classmate’s name by saying his/her name at the beginning of the conversation
6. Person ‘B’ will respond to the question and include their partner’s name in their response at the end of the conversation. After your students practice, ask a few guiding questions:
1. Did you notice a difference how you felt when your partner said your name at the beginning and at the end of your conversation as opposed to not saying your name?
2. How do you think this skill can help you when meeting new people?
The link to the aligned video is: https://www.youtube.com
PK and Kindergarten Round Up
Dallas ISD will hold our annual PreK Registration week from April 4th - 8th, 2016. School Registration will be open for the whole week.
Junkins will have Kindergarten Round Up on Thursday, February 25th. A short presentation followed by a school tour is scheduled for 9:00 am.
ACP Spring Film Festival
Dallas Bar Association Programs
February 15th: No School
February 16th: Volunteer Orientation 8 am & 5:00 pm /SBDM Meeting 3:30 pm
February 18th: ED Walker Parent Night 5:30 pm/ Night at the Apollo 6:30 pm
February 19th: Jump rope for Heart
February 25th: Kinder Round up and Tours 9:00 am/Budgeting in the New Year-6:00 pm presented by Wells Fargo
Gym: Penagos, Simmons, Hoyle
Auditorium: Gardner, Reynolds, Owens
*TAs are in their permanent assignment (Please see schedule)
Character word of the week is respect. Please send your 3-4 students with a sentence using the word fairness. Please see announcement script on Google.
Jerry Junkins Elementary
Jerry Junkins seeks to be a premier elementary school by creating global citizens through setting and achieving high expectations for students.
Our mission is to provide a supportive culture for the twenty-first century learner to reach their academic destination and become productive citizens of the world.