By Tania Zuniga and Jenny Sanchez
10 Facts about Eye Care
- A newborns eyes can't produce tears. They will make crying noises, but tears won't fall until they are 11-13 weeks old.
- You will blink an average of 15-20 times every minute.
- 80% of eye problems worldwide are avoidable or curable.
- While it takes some time for most parts of your body to warm up to their full potential, your eyes are on their “A game” 24/7.
- The largest eye on earth belongs to the giant squid, it is 18inches in diameter.
- Eyes can heal very quickly. With the right care, it only takes 48 hours to fix a corneal scratch.
- Out of all your muscles, the ones that control your eyes are the most active.
- Your eyes are 1 inch in diameter and weigh about 0.25 ounce.
- Eyes can be sunburned.
- You will go blind if you stare at the sun.
How can you prevent eye infections?
If you see someone with an eye infection, like Pink Eye, stay away from them. If it’s a family member then don’t use the same towels they do. A good way to prevent infections is to wash your hands before touching your eyes. Other ways to protect your eyes are to wear sunglasses in the sunlight, eat vegetables and fruits that will benefit your eyes, and wear protective eyewear if you play a sport.
Advice on how to take care of your eyes
- Run away
- Kick your legs violently
- Ask your local squirrel for help
- Get to a sink as quickly as you can
- Wash your eyes for at least 20 seconds
- Make sure whatever was in your eye is gone
- If needed go to the doctor