CDW Weekly Wrap-Up
October 22, 2021
A Message from Ms. Santa
As always, I thank you for your cooperation and partnership with the every day tasks of a successful middle school. This week we were not expecting to be evacuated from the building on two separate occasions due to the fire alarm, but your child(ren) was resilient in both situations, and the CDW staff appreciates his/her cooperation.
Just a reminder, at the bottom of each CDW Weekly Wrap-Up are upcoming, important dates!
CDW Soccer Team and Volleyball Team Updates
Soccer Update: The soccer team has improved it's record to 7 wins and 1 loss. Their teamwork is impeccable and enjoyable to watch!
Volleyball Update: The volleyball team is 7-2 and is continuing to work together to get in more wins for a good playoff spot.
There are three games left in the regular season on October 25th (HOME), 26th, and 27th! Then the Knights will prepare for playoffs, which will be a single elimination tournament culminating in a championship game!
If you would like to see a game, please see the full schedules HERE.
CDW Clubs 2021-2022
More clubs will be added as their schedules are confirmed.
Creativity at CDW
Grade 5: Parent/Teacher Conference letters were sent home on Friday, October 15th for all Grade 5 students.
Grades 6-8: Parent/Teacher Conferences are scheduled on an as-needed basis. If your child(ren)'s teacher(s) requested a conference with you, it will be held in the evening on November 10, 2021. Letters have been provided to those parent/guardians with a specific time for your conference in the Genesis Parent Portal under the Documents Module.
Please return the bottom portion of the signed conference letter(s) to your child(ren)'s homeroom teacher!
Please note: If a student wishes to take a new photo, he/she must bring back the packet (minus any class composite) and return it to the photographer on that day.
Please also note: These are the photos that will be provided to the yearbook committee to use in the 2021-2022 CDW Yearbook.
Packets from this week's photos should be delivered by mid-November.
Halloween at CDW!
When your child(ren) is choosing a Halloween costume, please remember:
The costume must allow the student to see to ensure safety.
If the costume has an accompanying weapon (knife, sword, gun, bow/arrow, etc.), your child will not be permitted to bring it to school.
Your child will wear the costume for the length of the school day so it should be something that allows him/her to walk and sit comfortably.
Costumes should comply with our dress code (page 7 of our Student Handbook).
Students do not have to wear a costume. Some students might opt to wear black and orange.
All students must continue to wear the "regular mask" that he/she has been wearing to school each day.
FRIGHT NIGHT is back!
Grades 5-7 Parent(s)/Guardian(s), please sign up using the Sign-Up Genius links below to volunteer:
Desserts, supplies, etc - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050B45ABAE23A4FB6-frightnight2
NJHS Information for the Current 7th Grade Students
Nex-Trex Plastic Film Recycling Program
Art Room Supplies Needed!
- Plastic Bags
See the Flyer from Ms. Watters HERE.
Chromebook Insurance Information
Lunch Vendors are Back!
Join the PTO!
Volunteers play a huge part in the PTO, and what they are able to offer our students and teachers. Without volunteers, many of the programs that students, teachers, and families enjoy will not be able to happen. Volunteer descriptions can be found at: OTPTO.org under "More Info" and then "Flyers."
If you have interest in joining the PTO Board, joining or running a committee, or just want to learn more- please reach out to the PTO by visiting OTPTO.org and selecting "Contact Old Tappan PTO" under the Help tab.
Travel Quarantine Requirements
We know that families are planning trips in the near future so below is the current information regarding the need to quarantine after travel. Please remember that travel quarantines are subject to change based on guidance from the CDC and/or Governor Murphy. The information below is current as of September 17, 2021.
- Traveling within the United States - Currently, there is no requirement to quarantine if you and your family travel within the United States.
- Traveling Internationally - If you and your family travel to a country on the CDC's Travel Ban list, your child(ren) is required to quarantine for 7-10 days upon their return to the United States. This list can be found by clicking here. If you plan to travel internationally, please contact me to discuss your child's quarantine period.
If Your Child is Not Feeling Well
- has a fever. Students should be fever-free for 24 hours without medication prior to returning to school.
- is nauseous or is vomiting.
- has diarrhea
Due to Covid-19, if your child comes to school with the following symptoms, Mrs. McCarthy, our school nurse, will call you to pick up your child from school:
- At least two of the following symptoms: fever, chills, rigors, myalgia, headache, sore throat, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose; OR
- At least one of the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, new olfactory disorder, new taste disorder.
Any student who falls into one of the categories above will be required to have a negative Covid-19 test to return to school. If your child has a chronic illness with one or more of the above symptoms, please contact Mrs. McCarthy so she is aware.
Anytime your child is not feeling well, and will not attend school, please contact Mrs. McCarthy at 201-664-1475 ext. 2103.
Important Student Drop-Off and Pick-Up Reminders
Please see the information below to ensure that pick-up and drop-off procedures are safe and efficient for our students.
- The drop-off line is a continuously moving line. Please do not park in the staff parking spaces along Interschool Drive to drop off your child(ren). Children are exiting their vehicles and heading towards the sidewalk, and this causes an unsafe walking zone.
- Please remind your child(ren) to exit the vehicle and walk behind your car.
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) should not exit the vehicle. If your child(ren) need assistance, the staff members are there to help.
- Please do not use the right lane to drop off your child(ren). This lane is designated for cars moving through to the exit.
- Please arrange a meeting area with your child(ren) so that you can locate them efficiently.
- Please do not park and/or exit your vehicle regardless of your child(ren) being at TBD or CDW.
- Please do not block designated emergency lanes that connect TBD and CDW.
General Traffic Rules Regarding Parking
- Never park in a "No Parking, Fire Lane." These lanes are designated with yellow paint in diagonal lines on the pavement along with the words, "No Parking Fire Lane."
- Never park along a curb that is painted yellow and leave your vehicle unattended.
- Do not double park (park your vehicle beside another vehicle that is in a designated parking space).
Mark Your Calendar
Monday, October 25th/Tuesday, 26th~ 6th Grade Field Trip
Tuesday, November 2nd~ Election Day School Closed to Students; Staff PD Day
Thursday, November 4th and Friday, November 5th~ School Closed for NJEA Convention
Wednesday, November 10th~ Parent/Teacher Conferences (Teacher Invite)
Wednesday, November 17th~ MP 1 Report Cards Available on Parent Portal
Wednesday, November 17th~ 8th Grade Trip Parent Meeting at 6:30 PM at CDW
Thursday, November 18th and Friday, November 19th~ 5th Grade Field Trip
Wednesday, November 24th~ 12:30 PM Dismissal
Thursday, November 25th and Friday, November 26th~ School Closed for Thanksgiving Recess
Tuesday, November 30th~ Picture Retakes