High School Chemistry
Build Your Knowledge
View the animation linked here to review how matter can be classified before learning more about chemical and physical properties and changes.
Draw a model of the arrangment of molecules of a solid, liquid, and gas in your science journal. Provide captions for each drawings that describes the properties of each.
Explore and Explain
Chemical properties differ from physical properties. To determine chemical properties of a substance, the substance must be altered in some way.
Construct an explanation in your science journal that supports the claim: properties of matter changes when a chemical change takes place. Your explanation must include:
- an example and a description of a physical change
- an example and a description of a chemical change
- an illustration or drawing that shows how the properties of the substance changed
1. View the video and observe the investigation conducted.
2. Collaborate with a partner to plan an investigation that can be used by other classmates and provides evidence that a material or substance has under gone a physical and chemical change. Your investigation must include the materials needed to conduct the investigation and the expected outcome.