What computer programmers do?
Computer programmers write code to create software programs. They turn the program designs created by software developers and engineers into instructions that a computer can follow.
- Write programs in a variety of computer languages, such as C++ and Java
- Update and expand existing programs
- Debug programs by testing for and fixing errors
- Build and use computer-assisted software engineering (CASE) tools to automate the writing of some code
- Use code libraries, which are collections of independent lines of code, to simplify the writing
Most computer programmers work full time.
Colleges for Computer Programming
Carnegie Mellon University
#1 college for computer programming
University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
The closest college for computer programming rank #9
University of Wisconsin--Madison
Second closest for computer programming rank #10