Smarty Pants Newspaper
Civil War News for the week of November 13th, 2012
Lincoln-Douglas Debates & Elections of 1860
- This was a series of seven debates.
- Lincoln was republican, Douglas was democrat.
- They debated for one of two Illinois seats in the senate.
- The main issue discussed in all debates was slavery.
- Each debate was held in a different town.
- Lincoln lost & Douglas got the seat in senate.
sites of info- http://www.illinoiscivilwar.org/debates.html
Why did this lead to the Civil War?
- Douglas became governor of Illinois, which made him lose the chance of presidency, causing a split democratic party.
- That led to Lincoln becoming president.
- On April 12th, 1861 Fort Sumter was runnin out of supplies. Lincoln sent more knowing that it might cause a war.
- This made the south angry, thus starting the Civil War.
site of info- http://www.mrlincolnandfreedom.org