January 13, 2020
Essential Leadership Skills for the Roaring 20's
This is a great article on the leadership skills needed for the future. They include:
- Thought Mastery
- Increase Conflict Capacity
Click here to access the short article for more information.
School of SEL - Keller U! From Sarah Sampson
1. I am excited to share with you an exciting opportunity to include student voice in district SEL decisions. We are seeking the names and contact of students from diverse backgrounds and various levels that would be strong contributors to giving feedback on selecting SEL standards at our District SEL Meeting on February 12th. Would you be willing to each send the name and parent contact of at least one stellar student? Please fill out the following form by January 27th. https://forms.gle/ZdDGuM41FW5PRvoS7
I so appreciate your support incorporating student leadership into the important work that impacts the future of KISD!
2. We are seeking presenters to share their expertise in the "School of SEL" at Keller University! This year, our RISE Up Conference will be merging with Keller University for one incredible professional development event!
This year the conference will be held on June 9-11 at Keller High School. The link below will take you to the "Call for Presenters" Google Form which will close on January 31st at 4:00 pm. Feel free to send this link directly to anyone and encourage them to send in their submissions.
Call for Presenter Form: tinyurl.com/yxxujgc8
Updates and Information
- Assessment Newsletter
- Assistant Principal Meetings - January 15th and 16th 8:30-12:30 (Please bring your Discipline Guide) - Agenda
- Note: There will not be an afternoon Curriculum and Instruction Session at the AP meeting this week.
- January 23rd 1:00 - Required Zoom Meeting on Discipline Coding for all campuses with CORE Academy or Program
- January 30th - Education Support Webinar - 10:00 - Mark your calendar - link coming soon.
Seven Ways Schools Can Stomp Out Bullying
This article reviews seven different way to address bullying in schools:
1. Understand the signs of bullying with both victims and perpetrators.
2. Understanding the motivations of bullying behavior:
- substitute for lack of control
- relief from self-focus
3. Understanding what works:
- teaching awareness
- honest communication
- coping skills
- healthy outlets
- not adding to the stress of students
- rewarding prosocial behaviors
Click here to access the entire article.
More Professional Development for You!
Do I aim to be accessible to parents and community members? You must be accessible to everyone in your community, not only your students and staff members. Mr. Kafele said he made it a point not to require appointments to see him. As a school leader, you want parents and community leaders on your side. You must be intentional about winning them over. Make all stakeholders aware that you value them and their participation while also demonstrating that you respect their own time limitations.
Joe Baker - Area Director of Student Services X1083
Stephanie Cantu - Student Services Assistant X 1115
Laura Lockhart - Area Director of Student Services X 1105