Moreau Heights Elementary
Moreau Heights is a collaborative community focused on student growth with a commitment to excellence.
PBS lesson - Review of Expectations
The PBS lesson when we return will focus on Reviewing Our Charger Expectations.
Our Second Steps lessons this week will focus Managing Emotions. The first week is about "Feelings in My Body".
Kindergarten will learn about how we feel feeling in our bodies,
1st grade will work on identifying their own feelings.
Grades 2-5 will introduce emotion management.
Are you using Charger Cash to reinforce PBS expectations and Second Step skills?
- We want to use positive reinforcement to draw attention to what we want to see more of
- How do you make sure you are putting the focus where you want it?
- Are you remembering to use all your tools? Specific feedback? Charger Cash?
"You are a giant, yellow highlighter. Highlight behavior you want more of, and help children become aware of the many kind and helpful things they do each day."
Want some ideas of how to respond when students show they need it? Check out the suggestions via this link!
Duties for the Week - when we return
Wanting Some Behavioral Support Ideas?
Calendar of Events
Tuesday, Jan. 2
*8 - 9:30 at West Elementary in the library for Second Steps training
*9:30 - 11 to MH for collaborative time for all in library
*11 - 12:30 lunch
*12:30 - 3:30 advanced trauma training with Daniel Rector
Wednesday, Jan. 3
*District admin mtg 9 - 11
*2nd grade SSTs 10:00 (James, McGeorge, Schell)
Thursday, Jan. 4
*Grade cards go home
*CN parent meeting 3:30 (Haugen, Fleming, Jungmeyer, Holtmeyer)
Friday, Jan. 5
*AH parent mtg 11:30 (Haugen, Spear, James, Kaiser, Murray)
Monday, Jan. 8
Tuesday, Jan. 9
*New Crew at 7:00 in library
*Sue at literacy training 8 - 11 (Sue at BOE)
*Conscious Discipline Parent meeting 11:00
*Interagency mtg for MG (Haugen, Spear, James, Treat, Dunn)
Thursday, Jan. 11
*Elementary Principal mtg 8 - 12 (Sue at BOE)
Friday, Jan. 12
*PTO Fun"d" Day - details to come
*TK parent mtg 11:00 (Haugen, Spear, James, Fleming, Murray)
*MG parent mtg 1:15 (Haugen, Spear, James, Treat, Dunn)
*RZ staffing 2:00 (Kaiser, Haugen, Spear, James, Murray, Treat)
Dismissal - where are you?
PBS team discussed concerns with managing dismissal to improve student safety and supervision. Here are the tweaks shared previously through email.
1. Make sure if you are gone someone is covering your area whether it’s a sub or switch with grade level teacher if possioble
2. Make sure you are waiting for announcements before dismissing students into the hallway. DO NOT send walkers, Y Care or car riders UNTIL WE CALL FOR THEM!
3. 4th & 5th grade will be upstairs in the gym for dismissal
4. Car riders go down WITH car rider line duty teacher.
5. Car rider area coverage
- Musselman or Roedel & Romney supervise grades 2-3
- Steinman supervises K-1
- Farmer & Fox supervises grades 4-5
6. Front door dismissal
- 1st & 3rd grade will line up at 3rd grade stop sign when bus # called
- Holtmeyer/Humphreys will walk bus students to meet the 2nd grade
- 2nd grade will be lined up at the stop sign across from Music
- Boyd will lead 2nd grade bus kids to the front office area, 1st and 3rd will follow 2nd supported by Holtmeyer/Humphreys
*the exception to this is bus 28, which dismisses in grade level bands. Kelli with lead 3rd grade to the front hallway. Michelle will lead grades 1 and 2 to front hallway. Grade level teachers will support.
January 2nd PD Day
Teachers with specialities (sped, specials, etc.) have received specific directions for where and when they are to report for Jan. 2. Paraprofessionals have also received specifics about training via email.
The following information is true for all grade level teachers.
8 - 9:30 - meet at West Elementary in the library for a Second Steps training
9:30 - 11:00 - we will return to Moreau Heights for a time focused on collaboration
11:00- 12:30 - lunch (Kelly Moeller made a group reservation for 11:30 at Prison Brew)
12:30 - 3:30 - Daniel Rector in the library at Moreau Heights
Grading and Grade Cards
The grade card window closes on Wednesday, January 3 at 7:00am. Please let Lyvie know when you are finished posting grades (special class too). She can start printing grade cards when she knows everything is ready and this gives you more time to look them over for errors while the window is still open!
Kelly's Coaching Corner
We are doing an excellent job of adding engaging structures to our instruction. When our students work together, they need specific ideas for their interactions. I love seeing the anchor charts, in your rooms, that support our students in their social skills. Remember, it’s ok to slow down the lesson and give explicit phrases for our students to say to each other. Our next step might be Paraphrasing anchor charts.
Paraphrasing will help our students when asked to tell what their partner said or in clarifying conversations.