The Weekly Roar
April 16. 2022
We Need Your Help!
La Ballona Needs your help! We have a few opportunities to join short-term committees for upcoming events at La Ballona. We can't do these activities without the help of several parents, and we truly appreciate your support!
1. International Family Night: We need people to help plan and organize the International Dinner & Entertainment Extravaganza on Friday June 3rd this year. Please contact Laura (email@example.com) if you are interested in: organizing food, wrangling kids on the day of, decorating, setup and tear down, or just being involved.
2. 5th grade committee: 5th grade parents! We need help for the 5th grade activities at the end of the year. Please contact Laura (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can help set up and tear down, get donations for treat bags, contribute to the picnic potluck, or anything else.
3. Kinder committee: Kinder parents! Please email Liz (email@example.com) if you are willing to help set-up and teardown, contribute cookies, snacks, or juice, or just want to get involved.
4. Staff appreciation: May 2-6 is Teacher and staff appreciation week! We need parents who can make Teacher and Staff appreciation week amazing for our beloved La Ballona Staff. Please email Sonni (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested.
5. Auction committee: If you're a parent who can volunteer from home, consider joining the Auction Committee! We need you! Our October auction raises around $28000 every year, and we need people to help solicit donations, take pictures, upload descriptions and send thank you's at the end. Email Michele (email@example.com) to join!
6. Cone Crew: Love being outdoors? Cone Crew needs a couple more parents to keep our pick ups and drop offs more smooth and orderly. It's just 30 minutes of your time once a week (or more if you can)! Volunteers must go through the official volunteer process (fingerprinting) to participate. Contact Nichole (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more info.
7. Field Day: The last day of school, June 10th is Field Day! We need parents to man stations (like bean bag toss and hula hoops) for an exciting, active last day of school! Please email Laura (email@example.com) to be put on the list.
In this newsletter:
- This Week at La Ballona
- How Can I Support My Child at School
- Around the School
- Upcoming Parent Education and Family Events
- Information for 5th Grade Families
- Community Support Needed
- Green Tip of the Week
- Important Dates
Dr. Becky Godbey
1. This Week at La Ballona
Monday, April 18th
Tuesday, April 19th
Wednesday, April 20th
Jog-a-thon Wrap Up Assembly 1:30 (Godbey & Nakagawa get silly stringed)
Thursday, April 21st
Parent Education- What is Bullying? (Flyer Below)
9:30 Parent Education: Bullying (English)
10:30 Parent Education: Bullying (Spanish)
Friday, April 22nd
9: 15 ELAC Meeting (Flyer Below)
2. How Can I Support My Child in School?
Library Books! Library Books!
Student Handbook Highlight: Class Parties and Birthdays
This week we will highlight our Class Parties and Birthdays
The CCUSD Wellness Policy mandates that classroom celebrations that involve food during the school day must be limited to no more than one party per class per month. It is against Board Policy, PB 5030(a), to provide foods, such as pizza or sweets i.e. cupcakes, for an entire classroom at any time prior to the end of the last lunch period. Also, foods containing trans-fats cannot be offered or served to students during classroom celebrations .
In order to prevent health risks to students from potential allergic reactions (to peanuts, wheat or soy) as well as safety and sanitation issues please comply with the above stated CCUSD Board Policies. Prior to bringing treats to the classroom, you must obtain permission from the classroom teacher. Foods such as fresh fruit or vegetables, popcorn (no caramel corn – it is considered candy), baked chips or 100% fruit juice such as Capri Sun are recommended. It is very important that we demonstrate our compliance with these standards for wholesome nutrition and wellness. Thank you for your cooperation.
Birthday parties take away from crucial instructional time so a better suggestion is to purchase and donate a book to the La Ballona Library in commemoration of the child’s birthday. Balloons or flowers for individual students' birthdays are not appropriate or permitted at school.
3. Around the School
Wednesday Principal Assembly- March 23
Star FREE After School childcare registration!
New Tents at La Ballona!
Holi Festival Photos!
Here are the 'Holi Festival' photos of the kids and all the colored powder being thrown around on Thursday, March 21st. What a fantastic and fun celebration they all got to experience.
Sorry for the delay everyone but here are the photos of the kids running as fast as they can at our Jogathon (March 17th) to raise funds for our school. What a wonderful event this was for everyone and thank you for all your support with raising over $55,000 this year https://photos.app.goo.gl/ufu3NxHYshamV6SKA
Star NOVA class registration is now open.
4. Upcoming Parent Education and Family Events
5. Information for 5th Grade Families
La Ballona 5th Grade Recipe Book needs more Recipes!!
The fifth grade committee is putting together a school cookbook for our Class of 2022 legacy project. We would like to have 1-3 of your favorite recipes as soon as possible (we may be able to add more if space permits). We will select one or more of your recipes to be included in our cookbook; your name will even be printed in the cookbook with each of your own recipes! Please include recipes that reflect your culture, holiday recipes, easy weeknight meals, or ones that are special to your family. If your student is in fifth grade, your recipe will definitely be included. We will include recipes from other grades as space permits.
6. Community Support Needed
Mothers Day fundraiser!
From April 18th - May 1st, you can purchase your Mothers Day flowers at The Floral Boutique (Venice & Girard) and 15% of your purchase will go back to the La Ballona PTA at no extra cost to you.
7. Green Tip of the Week
8. Important Dates (New Dates in Bold)
- April 26- School Board Meeting
- April 28-29- Targeted Parent Conferences, Early Dismissal
- May 2-6- Staff & Teacher Appreciation Week! This week is all about honoring the teachers and staff at the school that help your children each day.
- May 11- Open House (Virtual)
- May 30- Memorial Holiday, No School
- June 9- 5th Grade Promotion, 9:30am
- June 10- Kinder Celebration, 9:00am
- June 10- Field Day, 1st-5th grades
- June 10- Last Day of school, Early Dismissal