Father of psychoanalysis
- Studies in Hysteria (1895) Both Freud and Breuer published this.
- The Interpretation of Dreams (1900)
- The Psychopathology of Everyday Life (1901)
- Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality (1905)
- Five Essays on Psycho-Analysis (1916)
- Together with Breuer, he found that someone could rid themselves of their symptoms by bringing them to consciousness (Biography.com).
- Proposed that physical symptoms are manifestations of deeply repressed conflicts (McLeod).
Conscious vs. Unconscious mind
- Instincts (ID)- People have certain drives which help keep us alive. Operates at unconscious level (McLeod).
- Reality (Ego)- Satisfies demands of the ID in a socially acceptable way. Operates at both conscious and unconscious level (McLeod).
- Morality (Superego)- Ensures that moral standards are followed (McLeod).
Klein, C. (n.d.). 10 Things You May Not Know About Sigmund Freud. Retrieved
March 17, 2015, from History.com website: http://www.history.com/news/
Mcleod, S. (n.d.). Sigmund Freud. Retrieved March 17, 2015, from
SimplyPsychology website: http://www.simplypsychology.org/
Sigmund freud. (n.d.). Retrieved March 17, 2015, from Biography.com website:
Thornton, S. P. (n.d.). Sigmund Freud. Retrieved March 17, 2015, from Internet
Encyclopedia of Philosophy website: http://www.iep.utm.edu/freud/