Arctic Light Elementary School
April 18, 2019
April 25th - 10am ALICE Drill
April 25th - 6th Grade Wax Museum
April 26th - Military Child Celebration
April 27th - PTA Daddy-Daughter Dance: 4:30-6:30pm
April 29-30th - Kindergarten Round-Up
April 29-May 3rd - Artist in Residence (Dance)
May 2nd - 5:15pm Art Night
May 2nd - 6pm Band/ Orchestra Concert
May 13th - Field Day for First-Seventh Grades
May 14th - Volunteer Breakfast: 8:15-9:15am
May 14th - Honor Awards Assembly: 9:30am (Intermediate)
May 16th - Kindergarten Celebration 11:00am
Principal Keener's Message...
School Safety: ALICE
At most of our first classes as educators, we learned that psychological safety is the foundation for a positive learning environment. Without the feeling that you’ll be safe, it is difficult for an individual to successfully learn and grow. At Arctic Light, School Safety is our foundational focus.
On April 25th we will continue our ALICE Training with a school-wide drill. Students have had repeated lessons about school safety including the ALICE curriculum for: Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter and Evacuate. No longer are our students sitting and waiting, they are taught to take action in dangerous situations.
We are aware that our wide range of student ages require tailored school-wide drills. You will receive a text on Wednesday, April 24th, announcing the upcoming drill. At the beginning of the drill students will hear that we are having a, “Lockdown/ ALICE Drill.” The drill will simulate an angry adult moving through our building. A team of adult actors will move through the building talking appropriately, but loudly: no banging, no rattling of door knobs. Students in ‘Lockdown’ will be sitting quietly and will easily hear the actors and my announcements about the angry intruder moving through the building. I will announce the intruder has left the building and that the ‘Lockdown Drill’ has concluded.
We must practice and prepare for events that we hope never happen. Please keep us informed concerning your child's feelings towards school safety. It’s not just the physical, we know that the psychological is just as important.
April is Military Child Month
Thursday, April 25th, 10am
4167 Neely Road
Monday, April 29th, 8am to Tuesday, April 30th, 3pm
4167 Neely Road
Planning Ahead - Early Withdrawal for the Year
A common question concerns a student receiving a report card before the end of school. For many families this is due to travel to another post. Below are some guidelines and please engage our front staff as soon as you can.
Leaving before April 22, 2019
· Arctic Light issues withdrawal grades and student must report to next school to complete school year
Leaving between April 22 – May 3, 2019
· Arctic Light issues withdrawal grades and student enrollment in next school is highly recommended
Leaving after May 3, 2019
· Arctic Light issues final grades and teacher recommends placement for next year
Please talk with our staff if you are planning an early withdrawal. We want to help plan the best educational program for your child.
Intermediate Encore Sign-Up
Monday, May 6th, 8:30am to Friday, May 10th, 3pm
This is an online event.
Kindergarten Jump Start
Kindergarten Jump Start is a 22-day intensive, literacy-focused, FUN opportunity for children who will enroll in kindergarten this fall
- Mid-morning snack provided
- School district program
- Certified teachers
May 29 - June 28, 2019 | Monday - Friday | 8 AM - Noon
Hunter Elementary | 1630 Gillam Way | Fairbanks
Midnight Sun Elementary | 2301 Bradway Road | North Pole
- Child must be five years of age on or before September 1st, 2019
- Submit Kindergarten Jump Start lottery application
- Pre-Register for kindergarten in the fall
- Attend KJS Parent Orientation Tuesday, May 28th at 6 PM
- Provide daily transportation Monday - Friday, May 29 - June 28
- Commit to 100% student attendance
FRONT OFFICE REMINDERS
- You have 2 days to call in and excuse absences for your students to the front office.
- Please do not stop in the road to pick your student up. Please pick them up in the school loops at dismissal.
- Please make sure you bring in your ID when picking up your child or signing a student out.
- If you have someone other than yourself or primary guardian picking up your student please make sure they are updated in your emergency contacts here at the school.
Update Your Contact Information!
- Please remember to update your Family Care Plans and emergency contacts!
With trainings and deployments, it is especially important that the school has current contact information regarding your children. This information should include local emergency contacts (other than you) as well as contact info for whoever will be taking care of your child in your absence and or POA’s that need to be put on file.
COMPLETE YOUR FREE AND REDUCED LUNCH APPLICATION
Parents and guardians, remember to complete your free and reduced lunch applications here at SCHOOL CAFE.
Nutrition Services has made it easier for families to apply for free or reduced priced meals. We encourage you to apply online anytime using an Internet enabled computer or with the Smartphone app. You can complete and submit an application in minutes!
If you need assistance or have any questions please feel free to contact the front office or Nutrition services at
(907) 451-1004 x16600
Learn how to complete your free and reduced lunch application through nutrition services!