P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
January 23rd to February 3rd
🎉Happy 71st Birthday P.S. 188Q🎉
📚Secret Reader has continues! Thank you to all who have participated!
📑PTA Sponsored Read-A-Thon will begin January 30th. Look for information to follow.
📢PTA Empower Our Children Donation Drive continues.
📌Annex families- please do not to use the parking lot. Please do not to walk on church property.
🎇PTA is providing each student with five in class lessons facilitated by the New York Historical Society. Fourth and fifth grade classes are completing their sessions this coming week. Third grade began their session this past week. Thank you PTA for providing this enrichment program for our students.
📢We will continue to send COVID-19 test kits home. Students received their test kits this past week.
📃P.S. 188Q was awarded a $16,000 grant to provide Dancing Classrooms for some of our 1st and 2nd grade students. Thank you to Mrs. Dykeman and the Cultural Arts Committee for writing this grant. This is the first time in a very long time we have received this grant.
PTA Sponsored Read-A-Thon Begins Monday, January 30th!
Please follow this link, doodle4google.com or scan the QR code below for learn more about the Doodle for Google contest and to help your child submit a drawing if they are interested in participating in the contest. In the past we have had students in our school become regional winners!
PreK Application Process Info Sessions Presented by NYCDOE
In preparation for the 3K and Pre-K Application period opening tomorrow, Wednesday, January 25th, below are flyers for information sessions parents can attend to get more information on the 3k and PK process. Please note, PS188Q does not have a 3k program this year.
Wishes for the World
🍎Big Apple Award Nominations Are Open
2023 Big Apple Award Nominations Are Now Open!
Who: Students, families, administrators, and community members can all nominate any public school DOE teacher for the Big Apple Award. You are encouraged to nominate a teacher!
What: The Big Apple Awards recognize and celebrate New York City teachers who make positive differences for all the students they teach. Has a teacher changed your student's life for the better? We want to hear from you!
When: The nomination window is open until February 28, 2023. After nominations are in, the selection process will begin!
Where/How: You can nominate a teacher by:
● Submit the teacher’s name and school to the DOE All Stars website:
○ Note: sign in as a Guest - you do not need a DOE login to nominate a teacher
through the portal
● Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the teacher’s name and school information
🏀Basketball is BACK!
See additional photos in the link below:
Dancing Classrooms IN the Classroom
Learn about CEC Council Elections
Learn about the Community and Citywide Education Council Elections!
2023 is an Education Council Election year. The 32 Community Education Councils and 4 Citywide Education Councils make important decisions regarding your child’s education.
Learn about the councils, the election and how to run for a seat on an Education Council by attending a virtual (Zoom) Campaign Information Session.
*15 Days Remaining to Apply*
- Visit the Election Home Page for the complete schedule of Information Sessions, occurring daily throughout the Application Period, from January 9th - February 13th. You will also find eligibility requirements, campaign guidelines and more about the elections.
- A full campaign guide for parents is also available.
Interpretation is available
Questions? Email: Elections2023@schools.nyc.gov
Parent Advisory Board Meeting January 31st
District 26 Parent Workshop
- January 30th: "Transitioning from Elementary to Middle School" parent workshop via Zoom
- February 1st: Grades 1-5 Book of the Month assembly---wear P.S. 188Q trip shirt; PTA Sponsored Long Island Children's Musuem visits PreK and Kindergarten classes
- February 2nd: PTA Sponsored Long Island Children's Musuem visits Kindergarten classes
- February 3rd: Safety Meeting via Zoom; PTA Sponsored Long Island Children's Musuem visits PreK; PTA Read-A-Thon ends
- February 6th: PreK and Kindergarten Book of the Month assembly---wear your P.S. 188Q trip shirt
- February 7th: 3rd grade trip to see a performance at Queens College
- February 8th: Spring Self-Sustaining Afterschool begins
- February 9th: 1-101 Trip to Cunningham Tennis; CDEC Meeting 7:00 p.m.
- February 10th: Transitioning Your Child from Elementary School to Middle School Session #3 @ 9:00 a.m. in-person (proof of vaccination need)
- February 13th: P.S. 188Q vs P.S. 31 Basketball game @ 10:00 a.m.; Middle School Meeting Session #3 @ 7:00 p.m. via Zoom; NYC School Survey begins
- February 14th: PTA Friendship Bake Sale; Parent DEI meeting via Zoom @ 9:30 a.m.
- February 15th: 100th Day of School; 5th grade NYS Testing Informational Meeting @ 2:20 p.m. via Zoom; PTA Meeting 7:00 p.m. via Zoom
- February 16th: 1-118 Trip to Cunningham Park; 3rd grade NYS Testing Informational Meeting @9:50 a.m. via Zoom
- February 17th: Coffee and Conversations @ 9:30 a.m. via Zoom
- February 20th to February 24th: Mid-Winter Recess NO SCHOOL
- February 27th: Return to school
- February 28th: P.S. 221Q vs P.S. 188Q Basketball game @ 10 a.m. @ P.S. 188Q
- March 1st: Grades 1-5 Book of the Month assembly---wear P.S. 188Q trip shirt; PTA Sponsored NYHS begins for 2nd grade- Mapping My New York; PTA Sponsored Long Island Children's Musuem visits Kindergarten classes; SLT via Zoom
- March 2nd: PTA Sponsored Long Island Children's Musuem visits PreK classes
- March 3rd: Safety Meeting 7:30 a.m. via Zoom
- March 4th: PTA Sponsored Board Game Day
- March 6th: PTA Sponsored NYHS begins for Kindergarten- Transportation Then and Now; PreK and Kindergarten Book of the Month assembly---wear your P.S. 188Q trip shirt
- March 7th: PTA Sponsored NYHS begins for 1st grade- Families Then and Now; Doodle4google entries due
- March 9th: 1/2 day for Parent Teacher Conferences; Parent Teacher Conferences 12:20-2:20 p.m. and 4:30-7:00 p.m.
- March 10th: Last Day of PreK application; End of marking period 2
- March 14th: Parent DEI @ 9:30 a.m. via Zoom
- March 15th: Spring Picture Day; PTA meeting via Zoom @ 7:00 p.m.
- March 16th: 1-119 Trip to Cunningham Park; 5th grade Dancing Classrooms in-person performance @ 9 a.m.
- March 21st: 4th grade Dancing Classrooms in-person performance @ 9 a.m.
- March 23rd: 1-102 Trip to Cunningham Park; Report Cards released via NYCSA
- March 27th and 28th: PTA Sponsored Planetarium in gymnasium
- March 30th: P.S. 188Q Blooms in-person Parent-Child workshop 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- March 31st: Last day of NYC School Survey