Carman Paw Print
November 21, 2021
A BIG THANK YOU TO OUR PARENTS AND PTO!
We would also like to thank our PTO for the fantastic meal they provided our teachers and staff on Thursday, Nov. 18th -- PTO always goes above and beyond for us and we certainly appreciate everything you do!
With CT Pride,
Important Upcoming Dates
Dear Carman Families -
This will be a short week here at school -- Thanksgiving Break (No School) begins on Wednesday, Nov. 24th and continues through the weekend! We want to wish all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Be sure to mark your calendars for the opening of our online spirit store! The site will be ready to go November 28th with shopping available through December 12th. All orders and payments take place online and shipping will take 3-4 weeks, so estimated delivery to school will be early January. (More information will be sent out closer to Nov. 28th.)
For more dates and fun PTO activities, please see the "Dates to Remember" at the bottom of this Paw Print.
With CT Pride,
PARENTS, PLEASE REMEMBER TO PACK EXTRA MASKS FOR YOUR STUDENT
Parkway Is Hosting Vaccine Clinics for Parkway Students Ages 5 - 11
We asked and the community answered. Over 3,000 requests have been tallied and based on the amount of interest, Parkway will host three student vaccine clinics in the next month for elementary students. Parents of students age 5-11 will receive an email to signup.
As of this date, spots are filling up quickly - there are some open spots still available on Tuesday, Nov. 30th.
The dates are:
- Clinic 1: Friday, November 19th from 4:30 - 8:00 p.m. with a return visit for the second dose December 10th from 4:30 - 8:00 p.m.
- Clinic 2: Monday, November 22th from 4:00 - 8:00 p.m. with a return visit for a second dose Monday, December 13th from 4:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Clinic 3: Tuesday, November 30th from 4:30 - 8:00 p.m. with a return visit for a second dose Tuesday, December 21st from 4:30 - 8:00 p.m.
Special School District Is Hiring!
The Online Spirit Store Opens Sunday, Nov. 28th
To view and purchase Spirit items, go to www.SelectSpiritwear.com and click on Carman Trails.
Carman Trails New Sensory Garden Needs YOUR Help
COUGAR COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHT
This week our Cougar Spotlight shines on Josie Randall and Leena Polanco!
The following message was sent in with their nomination: "We adopt a family every Christmas, and Josie & Leena decided to donate their much-loved slime they made for the kids as a gift. They also asked me if they can raise money for the family to help for Christmas." What a great way to show the Carman Core Value of Kindness!
Come be a part of our character recognition efforts! Now, whenever you see a student (or staff member) demonstrating character outside of school, you can nominate them using this Google Form - linked here: https://forms.gle/rtmmbkxByyZBRDR17
Nominees will be randomly selected and spotlighted in future Paw Prints and possibly other school communications. By submitting a photo (by choice, not required), you are granting permission for us to use the photo in school-related communications.
Thank you for your help in recognizing and spotlighting character in our students!
Adventure Club News of the Week
Parkway South High School Holiday Arts & Crafts Fair Coming Soon
Carman Trails 2021-2022 Buzz Book Is Here - Click the Link Below
Notes From Nurse Connie Connelly
Dear Carman Families:
Please see the attached link for November's Nurse Newsletter, which includes the following topics:
* Returning to school after Covid-19 Symptoms
* Influenza Vaccine
* Exercising at home
* Healthy Sleeping Habits
* Asthma Considerations for school during the Covid-19 Pandemic
Plus more important information from Parkway Health Services.
Have a healthy November!
Nurse Connie Connelly
Sustainable Schools Challenge
What is the Sustainable Schools Challenge?
This is an annual Parkway program for all students, staff, and families to participate in sustainability activities while competing for prizes for their school running Sept 1, 2021 - April 29, 2022. It's designed to connect our district mission of preparing students to respond to an ever-changing world with our district sustainability goals incentivizing actions that reduce our environmental impact.
What you can do:
- Share and watch the 21-22 Sustainable Schools Challenge video presentation (6 mins) introducing the program, new updates, and a walkthrough of the website.
- Sign up now! Each student, staff, and family can sign up to earn a point for their school and receive the monthly newsletter with activities.
- Get the word out - schools have had success encouraging participation through their school newsletters and websites
Updates to the program include:
- Monthly prize winners will be selected through a drawing
- 50 points = 1 drawing entry
- New Mini-Grant program to fund projects up to $400
- Virtual Elementary, Middle, and High added as competing schools
Sustainable Schools Challenge homepage
Stay Connected with These Updates
November - Native American Heritage Month
24th - 26th - No School
25th - Thanksgiving Day
30th - PTO General Meeting, 6:30 p.m.
December - National Month of Giving
9th - PTO Sponsored Dine-Out Night at Red Robin
15th - Early Release - Dismissal at 2:05 p.m.
22nd - Half-Day - Dismissal at 1:05 p.m.
22nd - Winter Class Parties
23rd through January 4th - No School (Winter Break) - Return on January 5th