Aids In Sub Sahara Africa
- about 24 million people in Sub-Sahara Africa are living with HIV/aids
- In some African nations, 1 in 3 adults are infected with HIV.
- The combination of not knowing their HIV status and the lack of available condoms, allows unprotected sexual transmission to continue.
- the number of HIV positive people in Africa receiving treatment in 2012 was over seven times the number receiving treatment in 2005
- On January 10, the (UNSC) meets to discuss the impact of AIDS on peace and security in Africa. This marks the first time that the council discusses a health issue as a threat to peace and security.
- 91 percent of the world’s HIV-positive children live in Africa.
- 71 percent of the HIV/AIDS-related deaths in 2011 were people living in Africa.
- Because of HIV/AIDs, the average life-expectancy in sub-Saharan Africa is 54.4 years of age. In some countries in Africa, it’s below 49.
AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa
HIV Aids in South Africa - A Personal story