News from the View!
Dedicated to furthering the lives of our students.
Reflecting on this year, I am sure we can all say that it has been an interesting one. Together we learned how to navigate several learning environments and have shared experiences that will remain with us for many years to come. I do hope your child has not only enjoyed this year but has grown in many areas. A special thanks to all of you for the support you have shown the North View Middle School community this year. For this, and a million other reasons, I am truly grateful. Thank you all for a great year, our students are truly lucky to have you.
As we conclude this year I would like to provide you with updates on the items below:
- Chromebook Collection
- Student Honors
- North View Summer Library
- In Case You Missed It
- NVMS Yearbook
- Online Forms
- Summer Family Engagement Opportunities
- Summer Resources
- Ways to Stay Updated
If you have any questions about this or anything else related to North View Middle School, please connect with me here. You can also stay up to date by following me at @NVMSPrincipal or liking our Facebook page by clicking here.
In-Person Learners: All in-person learning students are being asked to return their school-issued Chromebook, carrying case, and charging cords/block to the building on Thursday, June 10th. Students will be provided with a choice board assignment during 6th hour on Wednesday, June 9th to engage with on their last asynchronous Friday of the year. This assignment does not require the use of the Chromebook.
Virtual Students: All virtual learners are being asked to return their school-issued Chromebook, carrying case, and charging cords/block to Osseo Middle School on June 14th and 15th at the times listed below.
- 9:00 am - 6:00 pm on Monday, June 14th
- 9:00 am - 4:00 pm on Tuesday, June 15th
Virtual students will also be provided with a choice board assignment that will be posted in Schoology.
North View Summer Library
Come to North View this summer to say hi to Ms. Dale and Ms. Sirovy and check out some AMAZING new books to read! North View’s Family Summer Library will, once again, be held out in front of the school this summer beginning the week of June 14th. Please stop by with your children to check out some books to read. We have picture books all the way through young adult books.
- Who: Incoming 6th, 7th, & 8th graders and outgoing 8th graders
- Dates: Friday, June 11th from 11:00-1:00. Every Tuesday and Wednesday after June 11th from 10:30-12:30 (In case of rain, check our social media pages for information.)
In Case You Missed It!
The golden ticket winner of our $25.00 gift card to Barnes and Noble for National School Breakfast Week!
Our AVID students shared their pride by Reppin their AVID gear along with the staff.
Students were honored for their excellence in academics at our honor roll breakfast.
English Language Arts
6th Grade Narrative Writing Project
Stamped From the Beginning
Paqui One Chip Challenge
Note: This event occurred after school and all required staff social distancing requirements were followed.
Reppin’ Regiment Band
North View Middle School’s Reppin’ Regiment band gave two concerts during lunch on Wednesday, May 26th: one during “A” lunch, and one during “B” lunch. The concerts, in our estimation, were a rousing success. We are very proud of all the students who worked hard to become amazing players. Click here to hear more from the band.
6th & 8th Grade
At the end of April, students embarked on a mission to create an emergency response plan for a community living near an active volcano. This plan included the completion of a brochure that outlined the precautions and preparations the community should take before, during, and after a volcanic eruption. Creativity was encouraged. Many of our students went above and beyond when creating their brochures. They were beautiful.
At the beginning of May, students started their last unit on Ecology. Ecology is the study of how living things interact with their environment. Students studied the Levels of Ecology, the 6 major Biomes found around the world, Symbiotic Relationships between animals, and how Energy Flows within an ecosystem.
2021-22 Back-to-School Forms
2021-22 Back-to-school forms to be completed online; prepare today by activating your ParentVUE account
Late summer, families will be completing back-to-school forms online via ParentVUE. Forms that will be a part of this process will include emergency cards, family contact information updates, and photo/military denial releases. Even though this process is not occurring until later this summer, there are steps you can take now to prepare.
In order to participate in this new forms process, parents/caregivers need to engage with the ParentVUE application. This is accessible by clicking Family Access toward the top right of any district or school website. If you haven’t activated your ParentVUE account, please reach out to your student’s school for an activation link.
ParentVUE holds a variety of student information, including grades, progress reports and transportation assignments. Students use a similar application called StudentVUE.
For additional assistance, please reach out to your school, firstname.lastname@example.org or 763-391-7180.
Student Support Feedback
North View Middle School hosted a Family meeting at North View Middle School. The purpose of the meeting was to review our work to provide additional Math, Reading, and social-emotional learning support. The June 3rd meeting allowed us to connect with families to review this year’s programming and get input on our planned programming for the upcoming school year. Please click here if you were unable to attend the meeting, but would still like to be updated. The link will take you to the presentation that was reviewed at the meeting.
Osseo Area Schools will provide free meals to children through the federally funded Summer Food Service Program from June 14 through Aug. 25. Any child 18 years of age or younger may participate.
Meals will be distributed curbside at 10 district schools from 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. A meal bag containing breakfast and lunch will be provided. Adults may pick up meals for a child without that child being present.
- Basswood Elementary School (15425 Bass Lake Rd., Maple Grove): Meals served Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. No service July 2 and 5.
- Edinbrook Elementary School (8925 Zane Ave. N, Brooklyn Park): Meals served Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. No service July 2 and 5.
- Elm Creek Elementary School (9830 Revere Ln. N, Maple Grove): Meals served Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. No service July 2 and 5.
- Garden City Elementary School (3501 65th Ave. N, Brooklyn Center): Meals served Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. No service July 2 and 5.
- Weaver Lake: A Science, Math & Technology School (15900 Weaver Lake Rd., Maple Grove): Meals served Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. No service July 2 and 5.
- Woodland Elementary School (4501 Oak Grove Pkwy., Brooklyn Park): Meals served Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. No service July 2 and 5.
- Zanewood Community: A STEAM School (7000 Zane Ave. N, Brooklyn Park): Meals served Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. No service July 2 and 5.
- Brooklyn Middle STEAM School (7377 Noble Ave N, Brooklyn Park): Meals served Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. No service July 2 and 5.
- Maple Grove Middle School (7000 Hemlock Ln. N, Maple Grove): Meals served Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. No service July 2 and 5.
- Maple Grove Senior High School (9800 Fernbrook Ln. N, Maple Grove): Meals served Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. No service July 2 and 5.
Ways to Stay Updated
Talking Points Text Messaging
We have begun to use the Talking Points text messaging application to provide families with quick updates related to North View Middle School. Be sure that your information is updated in our system to stay informed. Please email Ms. Petersen if you would like to update your contact information.
Each month, North View Middle School will send you the "News from the View" Family Newsletter. These newsletters are organized in a fashion that the most critical information is at the top and as you scroll down the newsletter the information becomes more oriented toward the future. This is your “one-stop-shop” to stay informed about the happenings of our school community.
Multilingual Facebook Pages
The multilingual Facebook pages listed below is where you can find resources, news, and information, in multiple languages, about ISD 279 Osseo Area School.
Another way to receive personalized information and be engaged in conversations related to the North View Middle School community is to attend parent-teacher conferences each trimester. Not only will you be able to meet your child's teacher, but there will also be opportunities to provide us with feedback about your needs. North View Middle School is a dynamic community; if you want to be involved and don’t know how, please ask. We can connect you to a cause, action, or person that will help you be connected to our community.
The NVMS website is a place to go to access information that could be important for a family at any point in the year. This may include but is not limited to, the daily schedule, the school calendar, how to check your student's grades using Parent Vue, and stay informed of your student's distance learning progress using Schoology.
Social Media Updates
This is my seventh year serving as principal of North View Middle School. Before coming to North View, a large portion of my professional career has been spent with Osseo Area schools, six of which were spent working as the Assistant Principal of Osseo Senior High. Before that, I spent time as a Dean of Students for Richfield High School and middle school level Science teacher and behavior dean with the Minneapolis public school system.
While in Minneapolis, I spent five wonderful years teaching middle-level Science at Lincoln Community School and Anishinabe Academy to sixth, seventh and eighth-graders, and two years providing academic and behavioral support while working as dean. My past experiences have shaped my core beliefs and philosophy of education. For me, schools must be an integral part of the community they serve. They should also be focused on high expectations for all students, and through developmentally appropriate and strong instructional practices, give students the knowledge, skills, and confidence needed to exceed these expectations.
If you would like to connect with me please click here. I would love to hear from you!
Get your Gear!
We, the staff at North View Middle School, commit to…
- Providing challenging academic opportunities that are relevant, engaging, culturally responsive, and rigorous.
- Providing a meaningful, encouraging, and safe environment that fosters the whole child, and focuses on student strengths.
- Including data-driven best practices and instruction that meets the academic and individual needs of our students, improves student achievement, and promotes growth.
- Engaging in continued professional development to ensure that we are aware of our students’ racial perspectives, challenge our biases, and include practices that serve our diverse student population.
- Providing effective collaborative partnerships with the entire school community by ensuring that we encourage multiple opportunities for involvement, communication, and access.
- Modeling and implementing daily engaging multi-level reading and writing strategies within our classrooms.
- Accepting responsibility for each student’s success and celebrate that success with our school community.