November 4, 2019
Are you looking for ways to boost student engagement and motivation as we begin the month of November? According to Neuroscientist and former teacher, Judy Willis, students' levels of intrinsic motivation directly correspond with increased effort tied to the effectiveness of such things as choice. Choice is known to release dopamine in the brain, which then drives intrinsic motivation supporting sustained effort and persistence in academic tasks. For example, a Foreign Language Teacher might show video clips that demonstrate positive emotions, laughter, and people and places to which learners can relate. Students then must choose from a variety of ways (i.e. dictionaries, textbook material, paired work, etc.) to explain why the clip is humorous in the foreign language. While student choice creates more positive learning experiences, it also shifts responsibility for learning to students and builds their judgment and decision-making.
Have a great week and as always... It's a Great Day to be a Chieftain!
Semester Exam Exemptions
- The student maintains a 96% attendance rate through December 13.
- The student must be passing all courses for the semester.
- The student has no major discipline defined as no more than four detentions, So Saturday School, no ISS or OSS moving forward.
- The student must be free of fees and fines from the Library.
- Students who are exempt but choose to take a semester exam can only improve their grades. In this case, the semester exam cannot negatively impact the semester average.
It is the student's responsibility to maintain all qualifying criteria moving forward. Failure to do so will disqualify the student's eligibility for any exemption.
Calendar of Events
- 9:15 am Chieftain Sound Send Off
- 11:30 am Chieftain Sound at UIL State Marching Band Contest
- Enrichment: Juniors and Seniors with TSTC in Conference Center
- 4:30 pm CHS Girls Basketball at Patton Springs
- 5:00 pm CMS vs Lockney
- End of 2nd Six Weeks
- 4:00 pm Grades Due
- 6:00 pm CHS @ Lockney
- UIL State Cross Country Meet at Round Rock