20Learn, powered by Schoology
Where Learning Happens │October 12, 2018
Digital Citizenship Week
It’s Digital Citizenship Week. This is about awareness, practice and ideas to help make this an embedded part of our practice.
We have so much to learn as we embrace our new Learning Management System: how the platform functions, how to organize and structure the learning experiences, how to monitor and assess student learning. Digital citizenship might feel like another “thing” to do and one easier to put on hold. On the contrary, it’s something we, and our students, need to put at the forefront of our daily online experiences.
Schoology stands with you and ready to support you with digital citizenship resources. For instance, the haad a number of users share their practices in their blog post, 7 Educators Share Ideas for Teaching Digital Citizenship. They also have a yearly challenge to crowdsource ideas and resources. Want some immediate tips and resources? The following links take you to resources for different areas of digital citizenship:
- Digital Footprint plus Self Image & Identity
- Relationships & Communication plus Cyberbullying
- Privacy & Security plus Internet Safety
- Information Literacy plus Creative Credit & Copyright
Click on the image below for some ideas from Edutopia.
Your Next Quarter or Semester Courses
Upcoming courses were recently opened to allow those teachers with quarterly courses to prepare for them. Upcoming courses will be hidden again this week. This is primarily for administrative purposes. Second semester courses will be reopened closer to the end of the semester.
What should you do in the meantime to prepare for second semester? Curate and create your material in Resources. When your upcoming courses are visible, you’ll be able to copy the material in to your courses.
Will students be able to see their past courses? No, they won’t. It’s a bit of an all-or-nothing thing. If we make it a practice to have past courses visible, then all past courses will be visible. That means that students will be able to share their past work with future students in your courses. We’ll need to make it a practice of copying necessary notes and materials in to the next semester course. It’s just a click and share from the gear by the materials.
Where Are We Now? - The Weekly Update
We have about 260 pilot members at some stage of the Getting Started with 20Learn, powered by Schoology course! There has been over 330 discussion posts and over 9000 page views. It’s great to see so many people interacting with Schoology!
What you can do:
- Encourage your team members to join the course so that we can learn together!
- Share your favorite features and benefits in the Updates feed.
- Ask questions in the recent updates feed.
- Connect with other educators
- Second semester courses will be visible for a brief time this week to allow teachers to prepare for their 2nd quarter courses. They will be hidden again for administrative purposes.
- Parents won’t have their own 20Learn accounts during the fall semester.
- Grade passback between Schoology and IC isn’t available this semester.
- We are working on special roles for Resource teachers and paras. If you need temporary advisor capabilities until the technical process has been vetted, please submit a help ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As we make progress with those features we’ll communicate updates.
Keep in mind that we’re at the beginning of a journey. We have a lot of ground to cover and we’re just learning the terrain. Partner with us by participating, asking questions, and providing feedback so that we can continue to grow. That participation is helping us work to meet your needs.
Thank you for being part of a successful launch! Here’s what we’ve seen since school started:
- over 550,000 total visits
- about 8.4 million page views
- over 119,000 files uploaded
- over 136,000 submissions
- over 22,000 comments posted
Communication is key! When something unusual happens, communicate it to your DLC who will reach out to us if they need additional support. We’re happy to help plus we won’t know what to fix or improve unless we hear from you.
There are so many supportive, excited ASD20 staff members that have really helped us make this successful!
As with any new adventure, there are questions and concerns. We'd love to hear them! Submit your questions, comments and concerns, and we'll do our best to address them in the following weekly newsletter.
Learning Services and Digital Integration Services are partnering with Schoology to develop our training program. You will be receiving online and face-to-face learning and support opportunities.
The first Getting Started with 20Learn, powered by Schoology course will be closing this week. Please send me your hours so that I can start logging them. For those that actively participated, there will be a next steps course. More information will be available soon. For those of you that lurked, which is perfectly fine, you can register for the session of the Getting Started with 20Learn, powered by Schoology course. More information on both of these professional learning opportunities will be published soon.
Do you need instant support? Schoology has an extensive resource collection to help, too!