Trail Blazer News
Happy Birthday Phoebe and Joseph!
Conducted by our Communication Crew
Elise: What is your favorite number?
Elise: What is your favorite specialist?
Elise: What is your favorite subject?
Elise: Who is your best friend?
Kathryn: What is your favorite color?
Nekai: Black and blue.
Kathryn: What is your favorite emotion?
Kathryn: What is your favorite Daily 5 Choice?
Nekai: Listen to Reading.
Clara: Where were you born?
Clara: What is your favorite book?
Nekai: Harry Potter.
Clara: What is your favorite movie?
Nekai: Secrets of the Sea.
Our Class Mission Statement!
9/25/15: Student-Led Conferences (No School)
9/28/15: No School (Teacher Workday)
9/29/15: International Potluck 5:30-7:00 p.m.
10/6/15: PTO Meeting 6:00 p.m. at Hillcrest
10/7/15: Walk to School Day
10/15/15: Fun Run
Wish List: We would greatly appreciate your support!
- Peanut Free Snack
- Gallon Zip-Lock Bags
- Amazon Gift Cards so that we can purchase the remaining five stability disks (as seen through the provided link) so that each student can have one. :)
What We are Learning
Reading: We are focusing on the "Mind Movie" comprehension strategy, and answering the who, what, when, where, why, and how questions to show understanding grade-level texts.
- RI.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
Writing: We will continue our Personal Narrative unit this week, and students will continue to use the writing process (brainstorming, drafting, revising, editing, conferencing, and publishing). We are focusing primarily on organization, adding details, and temporal words.
- W.2.3 Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
Fundations: We will conclude Unit 2 with our test on Tuesday. We are focusing on closed syllable words, glued sounds, bonus letter, and r-controlled sounds. Unit 3 will begin on Wednesday. Please see your child's homework folder on Wednesday for more information.
Math: We will continue our place value unit this week, while continuing to practice our Daily 3 math structure. We are focusing on the three ways to write a number: standard form, expanded form, and written form. Students will compare three and four digit numbers using <, >, and =. We will also begin using currency to explore place value.
- Read, write, and represent numbers within 1,000 using base ten numerals, number names, and expanded form (2.NBT.A.3)
- Compare two three digit numbers based on the meanings of the hundreds, tens, and ones digits using <, >, and = (2.NBT.A.4)
Science: We will begin our study of weather through inquiry based learning. Students' curiosity will drive our exploration of weather patterns.
- 2.E.1 Understand patterns of weather and factors that affect weather.
Social Studies: We will use continue our map unit by exploring maps our our school and community using GoogleEarth in addition to traditional maps. Students will design their own maps which include symbols, legends, and cardinal directions.
● 2.G.1.1 Interpret maps of the school and community that contain symbols, legends and cardinal directions.