Thurman Francis Health News

Winter 2016 - Penny Tidwell, RN

Big image

February is American Heart Month

Know Your Numbers and What They Mean

is a type of fat found in your blood. You need cholesterol to help your brain, skin, and other organs grow and work the way they should. Your liver makes cholesterol for your body (about 75%). The remaining 25% comes from the foods we eat – especially animal products.

Goal: ≤ 200

LDL (low-density lipoproteins), or “lousy” cholesterol, can lead to buildup of cholesterol in the arteries. In general, the lower the LDL the better.

Goal: ≤ 100

HDL (high-density lipoproteins), or “healthy” cholesterol, helps remove cholesterol from your body. In general, the higher the HDL the better.

Goal: ≥ 60

Big image

Ways To Improve Your Cholesterol

  • Don’t smoke

  • Exercise most days of the week (brisk walking for 30 minutes/day is a good goal)

  • Eat plenty of fruits, fresh veggies, and whole grains-- THINK FIBER!

  • Increase monounsaturated fats in your diet. These include canola oil, avocado, nuts, and olive oil.

  • Take prescribed cholesterol-lowering medication
Big image
Big image

How Old Is Your Child's Heart?

How old is your heart? (40 sec. PSA)

For more ideas about how your family can practice heart-healthy habits, click on the link below: