Genetically Modified Animals
The Background Info
- GMO are living things whose DNA has been changed. Many modified organisms have been created like bacteria, virus. Also plants such as wheat rice and cotton.
- GMOs have been around for so long. Scientists use them to mix DNA and make new organisms.
- James Watson
- Francis Crick
- Maurice Wilkins
- The first experiment of GMO was on a tobacco plant in 1986. It was a given DNA from a firefly.
- Inactivated Virus
- A new species is formed.
- Using the DNA it might have some positive effects on the organism.
- Using this organisms DNA, scientist could modify other organism.
- There is a chance that the new DNA will not insert itself.
- If this happens the animal will not have a desired trait.
- Sometimes the new DNA can have a negative effect on the organism like the term "gone wrong".
- The Department of Agriculture.
- The Environmental Protection Agency.
- The agency have primary responsibility for the regulation of biotechnology products.
- To make sure that everything is ready for the next day
- Make sure nothing is broken, nothing is out of context.
- The technology needed for it is perfectly the same.
- As the technology has advanced, fitting biotechnology products into precise product categories has become more difficult.
- They have added additional guidance.