What's Trending in Room 228
Mrs. Marcum's class
Weekly Attendance = 97.77%
Our class had the highest attendance for Month of December!!!
Mark your Calendar:
- Monday, January 25th- Wednesday, February 3rd-- PHP Soup Drive (See below)
- Friday, January 29th-- PTO Movie Night 5:30pm-7:30pm @ Sweeny Cafeteria Movie= Hotel Transylvania 2
- Monday, February 1st-- PTO meeting 5:30-6:30
- Wednesday, February 10th-- Papa John's Night (Use code: Sweeny)
- Friday, February 12th-- PTO Friendship Class Party (Note sent home earlier this week)
- Monday, February 15th-- President's Day= School in Session---Snow Make up Day!!
- Thursday, February 25th-- Last day for PTO Box Top Competition (You can still send Box Tops in they just won't count towards this year's competition.)
- Math- We have been learning how to add and subtract fractions. Test will be Tuesday.
- Reading- We have started using multiple sources on the same topic to answer questions. And, we have started talking about explicit and implicit information in a text.
- Writing- We have have been gathering reliable sources for our informational writing piece. In the next week we will begin organizing our information so we can begin writing.
Grammar- We have been practicing identifying nouns, and we will continue to substitute strong nouns for weak nouns.
Words Their Way- Sort 17 (Number Prefixes quadra-, tetra-, quint-, pent-, dec-)
Science- We have started our Solar System unit. Students chose a planet to research, and they have begun that research. They will be creating an alien (at home) that could live on their planet, as well as a passport (at school) for their alien to visit Earth. We will have a special day for parents to come in and see the projects. I will let you know as the date gets closer.
Soup Drive January 25- February 3rd
If your child does not have a coat on (and it is a cold day) they will not be allowed to go outside for recess anymore. They will either have to go borrow one from the nurse, or if the nurse does not have one, they will have to read a book in the office during recess.
If you need a coat for your child please let me know, and we can get you set up with resources to get a warm coat for them!!
Their goal is for Sweeny to raise 300 toys to donate to People Helping People.
We have two black ones that still need a home (one is turning a more dark gray color, so I'm not sure what color it will end up being)! They are still really skittish, but Brenna (my daughter) is working on them. They still have a tendency to jump out of your hands (literally).
Box Tops for Education: End of February is Coming Quick!!
All the money comes right back to our classroom for me to spend on the students.
Each box top you send in is worth 10 cents for us to spend. It doesn't sound like much, but they can really add up. Ask relatives and friends if they have any extra box tops they aren't using. Most people don't mind cutting them out and saving them if you ask:)