KAPPA DELTA PI - SETON HALL UNIVERSITY - VOL. 2 ISSUE 5
Teachers' Day in February
Teachers' Day in many Arab countries will be celebrated on 2-28-2017 this year. Eleven African and Asian nations: Oman, UAE, Bahrain, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco all praise their teachers during the month of February.
According to UNESCO, due to the teacher shortage in Arab states, one of the primary goals of Teachers' Day is to urge youngsters to chose teaching as a profession, enhance teacher preparation, and create a networking culture between professionals.
As we reflect on Mindfulness in the Classroom as presented by Chapter President Daria last month, we might also consider the need for mindfulness in our own educational practice. To take care of ourselves can easily become a part of our plan to nurture our students.
KDP continues to share the latest Conferences in Education, Educational Articles, Event Pics, Career Links, Pinterest Press, Teacher Resources, Question of the Month, and much more in our latest issue, below!
Yours in Education,
- Xi Gamma Chapter
Seton Hall University
KDP NEW MEMBER INDUCTION CEREMONY
Sunday, April 30th, 11am-12pm
JUBILEE AUDITORIUM & ATRIUM
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Question of the Month
New Bob the Builder Episodes Focusing on STEM
Students will enjoy seeing Bob the Builder, Wendy, and Leo tackle big, bold construction projects! Look for exciting new adventures all month that introduce preschoolers to STEM themes and promote social-emotional development.
Educators and parents will find new video-based lessons and hands-on activities that build upon concepts explored in the episodes, such as investigating the life cycle of a butterfly, learning how to estimate the weight of an object, discovering what makes ice melt, experimenting with smooth and rough textures, and much more.
PBS Launches New 24/7 Kids Programing
PBS has launched a new 24/7 multi-platform kids services. Provided by local stations, the free services include a new TV channel and live stream on digital platforms.
PBS stations across the nation will be able to broadcast PBS KIDS shows 24 hours a day on an additional television channel and PBS will offer a live stream, making it easy for children to watch their favorite series during prime time and other after-school hours when viewing among families is high.
Viewers will be able to watch the station-branded live stream through pbskids.org and on the PBS KIDS Video App, which is available on a variety of mobile devices, tablets and over-the-top platforms such as Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Xbox One and Chromecast.
- Why Career Self-Assessments Matter: https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2017/01/23/using-self-assessment-tools-help-you-determine-best-career-yourself-essay
5 Steps to Rock Any Networking Event: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/287791
Free Yourself from What You “Should” Be Doing https://hbr.org/2017/01/free-yourself-from-what-you-should-be-doing
Teaching the Teachers:
Tips for embarking on the job market for the first time: https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2017/01/18/tips-embarking-job-market-first-time-essay?goal=0_1fcbc04421-9e90d9c66e-198539937&mc_cid=9e90d9c66e&mc_eid=fc6bd0a1a3
Speak up even when your culture says not to: http://www.smartbrief.com/original/2017/01/speak-even-when-your-culture-says-not?utm_source=brief
- Pearson Revel mobile app brings course materials to tablets, phones https://www.universitybusiness.com/news/pearson-revel-mobile-app-brings-course-materials-tablets-phones
- Students are having to fork over far more than what average Americans pay to eat http://hechingerreport.org/tough-swallow-reason-college-keeps-costing-price-meal-plans/
- The challenge libraries face in an era of fake news http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20170117125842786
KDP IHQ Call for Proposals for Convo 2017
Proposals open: January 3, 2017
Submission deadline: February 15, 2017
Notification of acceptance: April 1, 2017
Interested in sharing your innovative techniques and content?
Learning environments should model innovation, be centered on real-world issues, and be visually or technologically stimulating, Convo presentations should be too! Quality learning experiences for attendees should be designed using approaches that engage participants in active learning and lead to maximum retention.
- Story Slams
- Chapter Posters
For More information and to Submit Your Proposal, click here: https://www.kdp.org/convo2017/callforroposals.php
February's Pinterest Press
Valentine Themed Bulletin Boards
Conferences in Education
- 8 February at 9am EST FREE Universities and Transformative Leadership Webinar University World News in partnership with The MasterCard Foundation and DrEducation will be hosting a free webinar on the role of higher education in fostering transformative leadership. http://interedge.dreducation.com/transformative-leadership-global-online-webinar/
- By 10 February; 17-19 July: WCE-2017, the World Congress on Education, takes place in Dublin, Ireland, in July, on the theme Global Issues in Education and Research. Many conference topics under broad headings: Accessible world; Adult education; Art education; Business education; Course management; Curriculum research and development; Educational foundations; Interaction and cultural models of disability; Learning/teaching methodologies and assessment; Issues in education and research; Pedagogy; Research management; Ubiquitous learning; Humanities; Research in progress. Submissions deadline 10 February. worldconedu.org
- 12-16 March: ICE, the 2017 International Conference on Education San Diego, takes place in San Diego, Nevada, USA, in March, sponsored by the Clute Institute. Registration gives free entry to the Clute Institute’s International Academic Conference on Business, at the same place, on the same dates. Submissions deadline 10 February. cieducationsandiego.com
- 24-27 May: The 4th Transatlantic Dialogue, Creating Human Bonds through Cultural Diplomacy, takes place at the Campus Esch Belval and Neumünster Abbey, Luxembourg, under the high patronage of HRH the Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, under the auspices of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Thorbjørn Jagland. This conference series on global citizens explores the significance of culture/liberal education for fostering global citizenship from both US and European perspectives. It examines the questions: What is the role of culture and cultural diplomacy in negotiating problems facing humanity? How can universities harness the potential of cultural diplomacy to transform societies? How can we interpret cultural diplomacy and act upon it? transatlanticdialogue2017.uni.lu
- 12-14 June: The UBTech 2017 program takes place in The Omni ChampionsGate, Orlando and features an opening keynote by John Williams, along with three days of dynamic breakout sessions centered around AV and IT strategies and solutions, policy and practice, active classrooms, and cybersecurity. Network with 70+ higher education solutions providers in the high-energy UBTech exhibit hall. https://www.cvent.com/events/ubtech-2017/registration-52e42d76b64c4dddb8018299901c99be.aspx?r=e9137ac5-8297-41c8-9c48-76fed5ce3685&refid=emailgen