Alcohol and Teens
Teens and Alcohol and the impact.
Teens under peer pressure
About 5,000 people under the age of 21 die each year as a result of underage drinking, 1,900 of those deaths are from auto accidents. About one in three high school students has been a passenger in a car driven by someone who had consumed alcohol. Alcohol is involved in 31% of teenage car accident fatalities.
- here are about 10.8 million underage drinkers in the United States.
- Teen alcohol use kills about 4,700 people each year, more than all illegal drugs combined.
- 1 in 6 teens binge drink. Only 1 in 100 parents believe his or her teen binge drinks.
- More than 1/5 of youth begin drinking before age 13.
- Adults who first used alcohol at age 14 or younger were more than 7x as likely to develop alcohol dependence or abuse compared to adults who had their first drink over the age of 21.
If you are under peer pressure ignore your friends and make your life smart and success drink water or soda instead.Who cares what your friends think you make your life plans!
So remember don't drink and drive it causes fatalities.
By Dylan Bratu
Ragsdale High School
The Penalties of drinking and driving
Assuming there is no bodily injury or death resulting from the DUI, the minimum penalties are as follows:
- a $390 fine plus over $1,000 in ordinary penalty assessments, plus additional DUI-only assessments for a total of approximately $1,800.