July 26, 2021
Thank you for making Simpson Elementary such an awesome place for our students to learn! Our theme for the 2021-2022 school year is, “Welcome Home where Superstars SHINE bright!” This theme was inspired by YOU, our family-oriented community which makes EVERYONE feel right at HOME! Your unwavering commitment of love shown to our teachers, administrators, and staff is what makes Simpson feel so special! Having this combined shared spirit of collaboration, enthusiasm, and supporting those in need, is what propels student achievement to even greater heights! I want you all to know that I VALUE each and every one of you! I love telling anyone who will listen, that my school is the MOST giving, caring, and thoughtful place to work! I look forward to you all coming HOME! Back to school orientation/meet your teacher day is Thursday, July 29, 2021. Please make sure that you view the PTC link via our school website to sign up for an appointment. Please see additional information regarding Meet Your Teacher Day (MYTD), pre-ordered supplies, transportation, and PTA documents via our school website. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or our administrative team.
Ms. Brandy Bosak-Grades 1st, 3rd, & 5th
Ms. Jeanette Johnson-Grades K, 2nd, & 4th
Ms. Stephanie Wells-Special Needs & Connections
Proud to be your principal,
GCPS Return to School~ Staggered start
Gwinnett County Public Schools will have a staggered start to the 21-22 school year. The first day of school for ALL STUDENTS is Wednesday, August 4th although some students will start in person and some will start digitally. Please see GCPS 2021-22 school calendar and details below.
- Wednesday, August 4th - Students in grades K, 1, 6, 9, and students with special needs who are served in a small group will start in person. All other students will participate in digital learning at home.
- Thursday, August 5th - Students in grades 2, 3, 7, 10 will start in person. All remaining students will participate in digital learning at home.
- Monday, August 9th - Students in grades 4, 5, 8, 11, 12 will start in person.
August Calendar Dates
August 4th- First Day of School- K, 1st, Special Needs, & Digital Learning Students
August 5th- First Day of School- 2nd & 3rd
August 9th- First Day of School- 4th & 5th
August 24th-Curriculum Night for Grades K-2nd
August 24th-Fall Picture Day
August 26th-Curriculum Night for Grades 3rd-5th
Device and internet Access
Access for students (devices & internet) in the digital platform is important as more students engage in the digital learning resources.
* Every 2nd-5th student will need a device in order to fully participate in digital learning for our staggered back-to-school days. We have created a tech survey link via school messenger for parents to complete prior to MYTD if in need to check out a device.
GCPS 2021-22 Calendar
Curriculum & Instruction for 2021-22
Digital Learning Instruction - This will look different than last school year with concurrent instruction (engaging BOTH with in-person and digital students) at the same time. This year you MAY NOT have a Simpson teacher, but an elementary instructor from one of the Norcross Cluster Schools will be assigned to the digital class. The digital teacher will email any digital students signed up from Simpson Elementary no later than, Tuesday, July 27th.
In-Person Instruction - This will consist of a traditional school schedule with the homeroom teacher providing in-person instruction in all content areas (ELA/MA/SC/SS), connections, lunch, and recess with CDC guidelines in place.
Open House- Meet Your Teacher Day
In-person MYTD will be held on Thursday, July 29 from 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m, with social distancing measures in place. We will allow one family at a time (with 15 min. intervals each) in a classroom to meet their new teachers. Parents will have an opportunity to schedule an appointment time via our Parent-Teacher Conference (PTC) Link. Those parents who desire a zoom conference session, please email your child's teacher ahead of time, if interested.
During MYTD, parents will have the opportunity to verify enrollment information, pick up pre-ordered school supplies, agenda planners and receive PTA information. In order to limit visitation throughout the building, we respectfully request only enrolling parents and children to be present.
Buses will run as normal with traditional maximum capacities.
* Buses will be cleaned/disinfected after each morning and afternoon route
* Car rider tags will be distributed during MYTD. Therefore, please make sure you notify your child's teacher during open house to indicate how your child/children will be going home.
* Dismissal – We will consider dismissing students from individual classrooms or by limited bus numbers at a time.
This information will provide Simpson with data that will be helpful with future funding and with assisting families in need. Please see flyers in English and Spanish for details.
For our school staggered return from August 4th-6th, meals will be offered at the curbside for those grade-level students who have not returned to school.
On Monday, August 9th, (the last staggered in-person return), digital students will enter the front to Simpson Square to request a meal. At that time, a meal will be provided by a school cafeteria member.
Elementary Student Lunch- Students may choose to have a meal at "no-cost".
Adult Breakfast Pricing-Full meal $2.50
Adult Lunch Pricing-Full meal $3.75
*Adult bar will be restored for the 2021-22 school year.
School Safety Plans
GCPS schools have established reasonable and precautionary practices within the school to minimize the risk of infection and/or spread of COVID-19.
Guidance is subject to change based on updated recommendations from CDC/Department of Public Health and will be communicated to local school HRT members.
- Provide opportunities for regular handwashing.
- Implement the custodial schedule/processes to clean high-touch areas during the school day.
- Clearly communicate with the school stakeholders and follow COVID-19 criteria for return to school in consultation with county nurses.
- Masks are strongly recommended for staff, students, and visitors.
- Visitation is permissible with limited access. School stakeholders are welcome to volunteer in a classroom, have lunch with your child, and assist in the media center. Additional details will be provided by your teacher during MYTD about limited accessibility.
Action Items for School Plan
- Ensure each common area and classroom will have hand sanitizer available for use.
- Provide ample time for restroom and handwashing opportunities.
- A custodial schedule will be utilized to ensure cleaning of high-touch areas is occurring throughout the school day.
- We will continue with an isolation area to separate students with symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
- Protocols for reporting COVID-19 diagnosis and contact exposure will be followed and reported immediately to administrators/district health officials.
- If anyone in your home is sick and has tested positive for COVID-19, please contact our school nurse, Amy Norris, and/or your child's teacher immediately.
- COVID-19 Quick Tips information is provided on the GCPS website (see attached document).
GASP Is Back!
Georgia Platinum Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2016 and 2019!
2010 Georgia School of Excellence!
2012 and 2018 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence!
Simpson Spirit Wear
PTA Membership: Leigh Anna Lang
School Beautification: Monica Dierkes, Sara Wiggins, and Victoria Gauthier
Spirit Wear: Kelly Loder, Dorian Clayton
Supply Kits: Melanie Willenborg, Brittany Bobzien, Laura Pusateri, Lori Van Duyne, and their amazing kiddos
Treasurer: Lauren Foster
EARN CASH FOR OUR SCHOOL WITH BOX TOPS!
With the Box Tops for Education app, you can turn your everyday receipts into cash for Simpson. Please go to the PTA website for detailed instructions.
To enter our drawings, send a screenshot of the earning or activity section in the app or website and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.