Overton Library Overview
What We Do
We are committed to supporting teachers and students! Here are a few examples of things we do and services we offer. We can:
- Help you/your students find resources and texts to support your curriculum, including books, databases, and online sources
- Share new technology tools with you, and help you implement them in your classroom
- Help you plan units of instruction using texts/library resources/technology
- Help you teach your students about information literacy and research skills (finding and evaluating information, citing sources, close reading, the writing process, etc.)
- Creating resources for you to use in your classroom to help teach these skills
- Help your students (and you!) find excellent books to read for fun!
- Support literacy efforts all around the Overton community (encouraging reading, helping you share the joy of reading with your students, etc.)
- And pretty much anything else you might need! We are open-minded about ways we can support you, so PLEASE ask if you'd like our help or if you have an idea you'd like to explore!
Jennifer works mainly with Health Science and AIR, Lori works mainly with Engineering and IT, and we both work with the Freshman Academy to make sure we nurture our newest Bobcats. However, you can always ask either of us (or Rachel and Nicole, our library clerks) for anything you need. We can't wait to work with you!
Basic Library Information
Sending Students to the Library
- Library hours are 6:45 AM until 3:00 PM Monday through Thursday, and 6:45 AM until 2:30 PM on Fridays.
- Students can visit the library before school or after school without a pass. During class, students will need to come with a written pass from their assigned teacher for that block/period. Please use the official JOHS Library Pass or the JOHS Hall Pass (we have extra copies if you need them) to send students to the library. Students will not be admitted to the library with an "O" pass or any other non-written hall pass.
- Feel free to send students from your class to the library as long as they have an academic purpose. That might be to check out a book, read quietly, work on homework, use the computers for a school project, use the library printers, etc. Please don't send students who just want to hang out when they've finished their work in class.
- Library passes/notes should include student name, teacher's name, time/date, and the purpose for the student's visit (to read, check out a book, do research, use a computer, work at tables, etc.) See below for an example!
- As students arrive in the library, they'll be asked to present their note and sign in on the iPad station at the library's Information Desk. Teachers can view library sign-ins here to ensure that students made it successfully to the library. (We recommend bookmarking that link on your desktop so you can refer to it anytime!)
- Teachers can send up to 4 students to the library at a time. If you need to send more, please call library staff to be sure there is room. (The reason for this: if every teacher sent 4 students to the library, we'd have quite a full house! We want to make sure students get the support and resources they deserve when they visit us.)
- We request that substitutes do not send students to the library. Please include that information in your sub plans.
Our library website can be found at www.overtonlibrary.com - it is packed with resources for you and your students. Please explore it when you have a chance! In the meantime, here are a few highlights:
- Access to our research databases: http://www.overtonlibrary.com/student-resources
- Resources to help you find informational texts: http://www.overtonlibrary.com/teaching-with-texts
- Library calendars: http://www.overtonlibrary.com/library-calendars
- Community resources for families: http://www.overtonlibrary.com/community-resources
Library Resources and Technology
We have TONS of things to make your life easier and support your curriculum. Just a few examples:
- books, DVDs, playaways, audiobooks, etc.
- a few "classroom sets" of books that can be borrowed
- technology resources that can be checked out (iPads, projectors, etc.)
- a Makerspace equipped with lots of hands-on activities for students
- online resources for all subject areas
- and more!!
If you're not sure if we have something, just ask! We are always looking for suggestions and ways to support you and your teaching. Also, if you have requests for specific materials/books/subscriptions, send them our way!
Technology Resources from the Library
We have a plentiful number of ELMO document cameras, extra monitors for your computer, and MimioTeach bars (which enable your white board to become interactive - i.e. you can control your computer from the front of the room instead of at your computer). These can be checked out for the entire school year as long as supplies last!
We also have a few iPads, projectors, etc. that can be borrowed for short-term use in your classroom.
See a member of library staff for details!
Reserving Library Space/Time
Sometimes a change of scenery is nice, right? The library has several spaces that can be reserved if you'd like to bring your class down to use them. These spaces are:
- the "garage classroom" - tables and chairs for 36 students
- the "main library" space - tables and chairs for 32 students (the area behind the circulation desk)
- the "library lab" - bar height tables and stools for up to 18 students, with power built in for laptop plug-in
- the library café (not available during lunch - better for smaller, more informal gatherings)
See below for images!
If you want to reserve any of these spaces, just contact any of the library staff by phone, e-mail, or in person! If you'd like to preview the calendar to see if your dates are available, you can do that on the library website here: http://www.overtonlibrary.com/library-calendars
When we schedule instruction with your class, we can use any of these spaces, OR we can come to your classroom. We are also happy to schedule time for you to bring your classes to the library for book checkout!
Limitless Libraries is a MAGICAL program that we are fortunate to have here in MNPS. It enables every MNPS student and teacher to use all of the resources at the Nashville Public Library easily and seamlessly.
Highlights of Limitless Libraries
- All teachers and students have a library card and can check out materials through the public library. These materials will be delivered to Overton for you!
- To request materials, visit www.limitlesslibraries.org and search the catalog. When you are asked to login, your card number is your employee ID # and your PIN will be 2021.
- For student accounts, the card number is their 9-digit student ID number, and their PIN is their birthday in the format MMDD. (e.g. My birthday is October 19; my pin would be 1019.)
- We have access to additional databases and online resources through Limitless Libraries: https://www.limitlesslibraries.org/high-school/research-tools
If you need assistance activating your educator account, see a member of library staff and we'll get you going! We can also answer any questions you might have about LL.