Newsletter Take 5 For SEL
Whole Child, Whole Community Social-Emotional Learning
It's March! Let's talk about . . .
- #SEL Day is Friday, March 11th. Check out the SEL activities that Fuentes Elementary PK-2nd and 3rd-5th is doing this week.
- 🌼SPRING FORWARD - TIME CHANGE 🕑 Sunday, March 13th
- Cultivating a Growth Mindset through the power of YET
- Math mindsets & March 14th is Pi Day!
- A calendar map for incorporating daily Mindfulness practices👇
Everyone is a math person.
Really? Yes! The only question is, what kind of a math person are you? Read on and learn from UT's Charles Dana Center on How to Develop a Math Identity
What is a Mindset?
Mindfulness based practices can support learning readiness, help students maintain focus and can strengthen sustained effort in the face of challenging tasks. Mindfulness is one way to help students gain awareness of self and others in order to make the shift to incorporating growth mindset principles.
Characteristics of a Growth Mindset
- Embracing and improving weak areas
- Seeing mistakes as opportunities to learn
- Knowing the brain needs exercise to grow, just like a muscle
- Focusing on the journey rather than the destination, especially in learning
- Being open to constructive criticism
- Reflecting on experiences
- Seeing possibilities rather than limitations
Reinforce a Growth Mindset at home.
Real World Context: Home discussion
- Is Fear A Good Thing?
- How do You Deal With Fear?
- What is the opposite of Fear?
Read on to hear their answers and let their stories inspire your approach.