AISD Middle Schools: Tech Notes
Technology Distribution and Support During Remote Learning
Technology For Every Student
This past spring, Austin ISD provided Chromebooks to all students in grades 3–12 for use while enrolled in the district. We are currently in the process of acquiring and preparing 24,000 iPads for students in Pre-K through second grade. We have also obtained 10,000 WiFi hotspots for families who do not have access to the Internet.
To get this technology to families who need it, we have created an Austin ISD Cloud Technology Distribution tile for both staff and families. Through this tile in the Parent Cloud, families will be able to submit device requests and monitor status. Families who are not able to use the Parent Cloud can contact their campus, and campus staff can log the family’s request in the Austin ISD Staff Cloud. We encourage parents to provide this information as soon as possible so that students can receive technology support as soon as it becomes available.
To help families prepare for this system, we encourage them to set up their Parent Cloud accounts. Families can ask their school office staff to send a “FastPass” email to the parent email address on file, or they can click on the "Parent Cloud Account Creation" button at my.austinisd.org. Families can also contact the Parent Support line for assistance at 512-414-9187, Option 6.
As mentioned previously, while we continue to work toward every student having access to a device and the Internet, we will continue to provide an alternative to online learning for students without access. This will include the delivery of instructional packets and/or instructional resources with an assignment list for each week of remote instruction.
How Where and When Students Will Receive Their Chromebooks
- Middle School Pickup : Once you have requested a Chromebook, you may pickup up your device at the campus where your student is enrolled. Click HERE to find your campus contact information.
How Where and When Students Will Receive Their Hotspots
WiFi hotspots will be distributed separately from Chromebooks and iPads. Key things to know:
- Hotspots must be requested in the same manner as Chromebooks
- We are trying to ensure that families with multiple students receive hotspots that have higher bandwidth, although those supplies are limited.
- Each family will only receive one hotspot, regardless of the numbers of students in the family.
- Please go to the school at which your student is enrolled to collect the hotspot. Each campus will provide specific details.
- You will need to provide your name, student ID number, and current address, so that the correct device is provided.
Bus Routes: Wi-Fi and School Schedules
AISD will continue to use buses to provide Wi-Fi and deliver technology equipment to students until school starts on Sept. 8. At that point, buses will reduce the hours for Wi-Fi delivery to 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
During the first four weeks—from Sept. 8 to Oct. 5—learning will be remote. Families will be asked to contact the district if students need access to technology.
Please see bit.ly/aisdwifilocations for current service.
Technical Support for Your Chromebook
For technical support, you can:
- Visit austinisd.org/technology/help for several online options.
- Call the Family Support line at 512-414-9187.
Repair at Your Campus:
If the Chromebook is broken and in need of repair, please take it to your campus. If a device is available for exchange, a temporary device will be issued to your student. Before arriving at your campus, please contact your campus for details on exchange protocols.
Repair at a Curbside Location:
If the Chromebook is broken and in need of repair, please take it to of the Austin ISD Computer Curbside locations. Locations are updated regularly, and locations may close suddenly based on local health conditions, so please check bit.ly/aisdcomputercurbside before you go. Wait times are posted at bit.ly/aisdcomputerwait.
In general, power washing is an excellent first step to try in all Chromebook troubleshooting situations. See below for written and video instructions on how to power wash your Chromebook.
Verizon Innovative Learning Schools (VILS): Burnet, Garcia, Martin, Paredes, Sadler
- Former VILS eighth graders ONLY must turn in their Samsung Chromebooks at a Curbside location or their middle school, and pick up a Dell or Lenovo Chromebook at a Curbside location.
- VILS sixth graders ONLY must call their middle school for details about picking up their new Chromebook.
- VILS devices ONLY in need of repair must be dropped off at their middle school.