HIV/AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa
What Is HIV/AIDS??
AIDS: Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
HIV: Human Immunodeficiency Virus
- Aids is the ending stage of HIV
- Causes the failure of you're immune system
- AIDS causes the severe damage of you're immune system
How is AIDS/HIV transmitted?
- Sexual contact
- Pregnancy, childbirth, breast feeding
- Blood Transfusion/Organ Transplant
How is HIV/AIDS Treated?
- 1st drug approved to treat it was AZT, since then around 30 drugs have been approved to treat it
- 5 classes of HIV drugs, each one attacking different points in the life cycle of the virus
- People don't die from HIV/AIDS, they die from the diseases that come with it
- If people don't take their medicines even once, it could kill them
Graph of people who have gotten the virus under control and those who haven't
One way of treating HIV/AIDS
Even though ways of treating HIV has improved greatly, 75 percent of people with the virus do not have it under control