Pioneer Family Communication
Week of October 1, 2023 - October 7, 2023 - HOMECOMING WEEK
From the Pioneer Leadership Team
Thank you Pioneer Caregivers,
Thank you to all of our Pioneer Community that attended Parent-Teacher Conferences. We had a great turnout and we are always available to help you via email or zoom if you are in need of additional support. Pioneer offers additional academic support at no charge to our Pioneer students. We offer a Writing Lab and our Learning Center is open M-F from 3pm-4pm with our Pioneer Teachers in specific subjects - Math, Science, World Language, Health/PE, English Learners, and Social Studies. The Academic Learning Center is free of charge!
Last week we conducted the PSAT Digital Readiness check with our Junior class. We were pleased that all of our students chromebooks were indeed digitally ready for the test. Thank you to the District IT Department and our very own Mike Morris for all of their work to assure Pioneer is ready for the PSAT test on 10/11. If you student was unable to conduct their readiness check please make sure they complete the following next week asap.
1. Bring their district issued chromebook fully charged to Pioneer.
2. Log off, shut down, and restart their AAPS chromebook on District wifi.
3. Get their digital readiness ticket from C-311(Dr. Hyliard's Office).
4. Go to Apps and click Bluebook on the taskbar.
5. Log in using the user name and code.
6. Click on full practice test.
7. Return the ticket to C311.
The digital PSAT Bluebook app is uploaded on all AAPS Chromebooks. Students can take a full length practice test and the app will grade the test with feedback for the students. We encourage all of 11th grade students to practice the test before October 11. The NMSQT is part of the tests that determine National Merit Finalists and Pioneer has a long rich history of many Naitonal Merit Finalists each year.
This week is HOMECOMING WEEK! We have many great events planned this week.
Schedule for this week.Monday - Regular Schedule
Tuesday - Regular Schedule
Wednesday - Regular Schedule - COUNT DAY
Thursday - Regular Schedule
Friday - Assembly Schedule
Saturday - Homecoming Dance(purchase tickets online - use Student ID for access code)
*We need chaperones! Over 1000 students attend our amazing Homecoming Dance. We need help supervising this event. Shifts are only 2.5 hours and we cannot do this alone :) Please click here to chaperone or volunteer to help at the Homecoming Dance. This dance is a huge fundraiser to assist us cover costs of the Senior Prom at the Big House. Thank you Pioneer!
Desmond, Eve, Jodi, Kevin & Dan
Buy your HOMECOMING TICKETS NOW!
Access Code = Student Number
Regular Schedule - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Pep Assembly Schedule - Friday
PTSO @ Pioneer
Greetings from the Pioneer PTSO:
A few updates:
Homecoming is next week! We need help with making it a successful event for our students. Here is a signup
genius to volunteer the night of. There are two shifts 6:30- 9 and 9- 11:30. We need 10 volunteers per shift.
Please fill out the background check form and submit by next Tuesday 10/3.
Students need snacks! Please use this signup genius to sign up and donate. We keep them in offices and
with the nurse for students. This is a one time donation. We will send multiple signups throughout the year.
PTSO funds provide the Pioneer staff and students with many things throughout the year: teacher grants, field
trips, end of year picnics, staff appreciation events, scholarships for homecoming, prom, Bon Voyage all-night
senior party, and yearbooks, and more. Already this year, the PTSO has funded four teacher grants, a
welcome back to school treat, and dinner for teachers before parent teachers conferences. Please donate to
the PTSO if you are able. We suggest $50 per student.
Thanks for your continued support.
Pioneer PTSO Board
CARE CLOSET - C311
PSAT/NMSQT 2023 - Testing Updates/Test Schedule
Testing/Late start on Wednesday, October 11th. Please email Dr. Hyliard directly regarding any questions about PSAT/NMSQT Testing - email@example.com
11th GRADE STUDENTS only:
1. PSAT/NMSQT - The digital PSAT/NMSQT is required to participate in the National Merit Program. This test is for Pioneer Juniors only. Students in 9, 10 or 12th grade will NOT be taking the PSAT/NMSQT test on October 11th. Pioneer 9th & 10th Grade students will take the PSAT in the Spring of 2023. 12th Grade Students have already completed their testing requirements.
2. Preparing for PSAT/NMSQT Test Day
All AAPS High School Issued Chromebooks have the BLUE BOOK APP. Students can access by logging out of their chromebook then turn on the chromebook and in the lower left corner is a tab that says APPS. Click APPS and choose the BLUE BOOK APP. Then click” practice test” for PSAT.
* 1) PSAT testing must be taken with a District supplied Chromebook - HIGH SCHOOL
2) Students who have not used their Chromebooks recently should make sure they are holding a charge, have been updated (most current Chrome OS is 117.0) and have been on a network (even home internet) for a few hours so that they have the most current DRC insight and Blue book apps installed on their chromebook.
3. TESTING ROOM ASSIGNMENTS: Room assignments will be posted on 10/6/23 near the Learning Center Doors, 2nd Floor-Planetarium Wall, and on the 3rd Floor on the wall in-between rooms C325 & C327.
4. TEST DAY: Testing Day is Wednesday, October 11, 2023. Students must be in their testing room by 8am! Late students may be turned away. Once chromebooks open and testing begins students cannot be let in the testing room. Students should arrive at 7:30am.
5. WHAT TO BRING: Drivers License or other photo ID (test ID's provided at Pre-Bubbling), Face coverings are encouraged, 2 No. 2 pencils sharpened with erasers, a calculator (not provided), a drink, or snack for your break. A calculator app is available digitally in the testing app.
6. WHAT NOT TO BRING: Prohibited Items List - CLICK HERE, Do not bring any prohibited electronic devices including airpods, smart watches, or cell phones. Do not bring ear plugs(unless approved accommodation). You will be dismissed from the test if these items enter the testing room.
More information about PSAT/NMSQT & click the corresponding link below.
Pioneer Leadership Team
LATE START SCHEDULE - 10.11.23
Information for 9th, 10th, & 12th Grade Students:
1. LATE START SCHEDULE ATTENDANCE: Attendance is expected for all students 9-12 on Wednesday, October 11. Students (9,10 & 12) should arrive at 11:30a and report to the cafeteria, annex, or courtyard for lunch. There will be no admittance to the 2nd or 3rd floors until testing is over.
2. TRANSPORTATION: Buses will run on normal times. There will be no late buses. Students that ride the bus will report to the cafeteria annex please bring any homework. We will have staff available to support students in any academic needs.
*3. ACADEMIC SUPPORT: Pioneer specific subject Staff Instructors will be located in the Cafeteria Annex for any 9th, 10th, or 12th grade students that want to arrive by 8am and receive additional academic support. Students that arrive early must stay in the cafeteria or cafeteria annex. *Please contact Dean Bullinger - firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot as spaces are limited.
AP TESTING @ PIONEER
Pioneer Administration Team Assignments
Athletics - Ms. Eve Claar
9th Grade Dean - Ms. Jodi Bullinger
10th Grade Last Name A-L - Dr. Daniel Hyliard
10th Grade Last Name M-Z - Mr. Kevin Hudson
11th Grade - Mr. Kevin Hudson
12th Grade - Dr. Daniel Hyliard
AAPS Family Technology Assistance
Students & Families - Technology Virtual Help Desk
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday from 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Open a ticket: email@example.com
Schedule an In-Person Appointment: call the Student & Family Help Desk
The Writing Center at Pioneer High School wants to help! We are open daily during both lunches and 4th Hour in room C216. We offer online writing assistance through our website and hold fun writing competitions throughout the year. We want to help with brainstorming, revising, editing, polishing, and really any part of your writing assignment! Come see us!
SCHOOL STARTS at 8AM - Doors Open at 7:35AM
1. CLOCKTOWER - this location backs up so please plan accordingly
2. FLAGPOLE ENTRANCE - near student parking lot
3. E-HALL ENTRANCE - near the tennis courts
Please do not drop off students in the 7th Street Bus Loop
Senior Portraits are due by November 17, 2023. Directions to submit them can be found on our website. If you choose not to submit a portrait, we will use your school photo.
Senior Tributes are due by February 10, 2024. These loving tributes to your student can be purchased through YearbookForever.com by selecting "Create a Senior Ad".
Preferred names: If your student goes by a name other than their legal name, that name is in PowerSchool as a "preferred name," and they would like to be referred to as such throughout the yearbook, please direct them to fill out this form so we get it right!
Order a yearbook today! Prices increase on December 31, 2023.
RAHS @ PIONEER
F.E.M.M.E.S. Advance College Readiness Workshop
The F.E.M.M.E.S. Advance College Readiness Workshop is designed to support women+ in high school, but like all F.E.M.M.E.S. activities, is open to students of all genders.
The workshop is a series of two sessions aimed at building participants’ confidence in the college application process as well as their understanding of educational and career opportunities in STEM. The first event, Application Advice with an Admissions Officer, will take place in person at the University of Michigan on Saturday, October 21st from 11 am to 2 pm. The second event, a College Readiness Student Panel, will take place in person at the University of Michigan on Saturday, October 28th from 11 am to 2 pm. Lunch will be provided.
Students can register at https://umich.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9TCdHzkrtW8AODY. If students would like to learn more about F.E.M.M.E.S. as an organization, they can visit their website at femmes.studentorgs.umich.edu.