Welcome to Band!
PVMS 6th Grade Band "News"
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year; one that promises to be filled with great music and memories at Prairie View and we are glad you are here! Please take a moment to look over this newsletter as it will provide you with some important information about band at Prairie View. We look forward to working with your student in a few days!
6th Grade Teambuilding This Week
- 6th Grade Woodwinds and Percussion: Tuesday, September 10
- 6th Grade Brass: Wednesday, September 11
An activity bus will be available to bring students who regularly ride the bus home. Please let Mr. Q know if you have any questions!
Band Shirt Fees
At Prairie View, students are expected to wear a button down "PVMS Band" shirt to all performances. Last Friday, we ordered shirts for anyone who has already paid this fee. We will not be able to order your student's shirt until this fee has been paid.
We will be placing another order in a few weeks, so your student can still receive their shirt. To pay this fee, please log into your child's account at https://campus.spasd.k12.wi.us/campus/portal/sunprairie.jsp.
If your student receives fee waivers, they should apply to this fee as well. Please let us know if this is the case so we make sure we order a shirt for your student. Additionally, please let us know if your student will be using a sibling's shirt and we will have the office remove the fee from their account.
Now as we begin to bring band into full swing, students should be practicing their instrument on a regular basis.
For 6th Graders starting out on a new instrument, I generally recommend they practice in small chunks (10-20 minutes) frequently throughout the week. (4-6 times per week) The goal of practicing is to build the muscle memory that reinforces the positive habits that we are working to establish during the school day. Students should be working out of their red "Standard of Excellence" book (purple "Fresh Approach" and blue “Snare Drum” book for percussionists) and band portfolio. There is always something to practice and my goal is to move students forward at a level & pace that works for them.
I have texts set-up to forward to my iPad so I should be able to respond throughout the school day when I typically do not carry my phone on me. Additionally, if you would like to receive messages from me with concert performance times and other information (used sparingly), please fill out the form below:
What will I need in Band this year?
1. Your band instrument in good playing condition. You may be renting already from Ward Brodt, own an instrument or using a school instrument. The key is to make sure it is working properly!
2. A pencil - keep one in band folder or instrument case.
3. White Warm-up Book "Sound Innovations Ensemble Development."
4. A Lesson Book "Standard of Excellence" Book 1 for woodwind and brass players. Percussionists will use "Alfred Snare Drum Book" and the "Fresh Approach to Mallet Percussion" book.
5. Band Black Dress Shirt - Black Pants, Black Socks, Black Shoes. The band shirt fee ($17) should be included on the 6th grade registration costs. We will get everyone fitted for these during the first week of school.
6. Woodwind musicians make sure you have a box of good reeds to start the year.
7. Brass players should have valve oil and slide grease.
8. Percussionists should make sure they have all of the necessary mallets and sticks needed for this year. Consult the percussion equipment chart for more information. Make sure your sticks/mallets and clearly labeled with your name and keep them in a stick bag.
Instruments and Supplies
If your student needs to get his/her hands on a band instrument or supplies, no problem! We generally recommend contacting Rob at Ward-Brodt by calling 661-8633 or by visiting ward-brodt.com and clicking on the “rentals” tab.
If affordability is a concern for your family, please contact me right away so we can make arrangements. We do not want finances to prevent your student from joining band!
Attention Tuba & Euphonium Players
We believe that an education in music and the arts is vitally important to all children. Students in band will not only learn the skill needed to perform an instrument, but they will also learn about life through music and their feelings/ideas/concepts about it. We believe in educating in this comprehensive approach. Students will be assessed based on the standards below. The goal is to have the students become self-directed, self-assessing, life-long learners who value the sense of being part of something larger than themselves. We will work with students to set goals, gather evidence of growth, evaluate the data, and formulate a plan for continued progress. We will work hard to help your child to achieve success in learning through band.
Sun Prairie Band Mission Statement: “Move beyond the notes to cultivate a life long passion and drive for creativity, curiosity, and community through a vision of students as accomplished learners and evolving musicians in pursuit of artistry”
- Creativity-Imagine, Plan, Make, Evaluate, and Refine unique original ideas
- Skills (Specific Instrument)-Demonstrates Skills to Rehearse, Evaluate, Refine, Interpret, and Present music on your specific instrument.
- Skills (Ensemble)-Demonstrates appropriate Functional and Ensembleship skills and techniques in a musical ensemble.
- Literacy-Decode, Interpret, and Present written music
- Knowledge-Select, Analyze, and Evaluate music.
- Connections-Personalize music to your own experience and Broaden your world view through the lens of music.
- Personal Responsibility-How a student prepares to be a productive member of small group lessons & rehearsals.
- Work Habits and Productivity-How much a student practices outside of instructional time as evidence by his/her performance in class.
- Collaboration and Personal Integrity-How a student follows through on his/her commitment to the ensemble by participating in required performances.
Concert Attendance Policy
Find Us Online!
You can also "like" us on Facebook (Sun Prairie Bands), follow us on Twitter (@SPBands), and follow us on instagram (PVMSBand) for even more news and updates throughout the year!
Photo Opt-Out Form
September 10 6th Woodwind/Percussion Team Building - 2:50-4:00 PM
September 11 6th Brass Team Building - 2:50-4:00 PM
September 20 7th Grade performance at the Fun Run Assembly
October 8 Fall Band Concert at PVMS
Prairie View Middle School Bands
“Move beyond the notes to cultivate a life long passion and drive for creativity, curiosity, and community through a vision of students as accomplished learners and evolving musicians in pursuit of artistry”