Serrano Eagles Bulletin
Parent Bulletin - January 19th, 2016
What a great first week back last week. We had so many exciting moments, here are a few of my favorites:
- Receiving a $2000 STEM Challenge Grant from the city of Villa Park
- 6th graders engage in technology through a BYOD program just started at Serrano
- Welcoming back all the smiling faces who we missed so much
- A Foundation Meeting on Monday to discuss the remaining events this year and talk about our (soon to be renamed) - Jog-A-Thon (formerly Trek4Tech)
- Seeing 1st-3rd grade students build Ice and Crystals in the Disney movie inspired STEM after school program by Mrs. O'Hare
- Serrano SLab students composing loops through GarageBand on their iPads
- Watching all the Winter Break Rube Goldberg Machine videos and sending them throughout the district to brag about the great innovative things our Eagles are doing
- Taking one of our new robots to Mrs. Pettibone's class and watching the students engage in programming to make the robot move
- Being a part of an amazingly exciting STEM Challenge where students built paper airplanes and flew them through PVC targets around the campus - inspired and constructed by 6th grader Brad Carol - thanks Brad!!
- Participating in student Class Act Lessons and hearing all the exciting events throughout Vivaldi's life
- Joining Mrs. Beckham's 5th Grade students through cow eye and squid dissections at Dana Point's Ocean Institute
Can you tell there are so so many great things going on in our classrooms - super fun for staff and students alike!
Soaring Moments from Last Week
Eagles making SNOW in Mrs. O'Hare's afterschool Movie-Inspired STEM Class
STEM Challenge brought to you by 6th Grader, Brad Carol
Kinder, Livia, joining Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Ruiz and Mrs. Pedroza for lunch to celebrate her Rube Goldberg Machine
Mrs. Cycenas's Class Engages in Class Act
Stay Connected with Serrano
TWEET like an Eagle!
Follow Us on Twitter: @SerranoOUSD (name - Serrano Elementary)
** Tweet your Eagle Pictures to @SerranoEagles and it will show up on our website
Our Twitter Handle has been changed - see new name
What's Coming Up in Week Eighteen?
- MLK - No SCHOOL
- Mrs. Rutledge's Birthday
- SLAB after school - Room 21
- Modified Wednesday - Early Release
- 5th Grade Overnight Field Trip (Mrs. Schmuhl's Class)
- Fire/Earthquake Drill 11:00a
- Class Act: Lesson #1
- 2nd Grade Jarupa Field Trip
- 3rd Grade Field Trip
- Spirit Day: Dress in your Serrano Spirit Day Shirt
Parent Ed Night: Cyber Safety
Thursday, Feb. 4th, 6:30-8pm
18042 East Taft Avenue
Villa Park, CA
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
OUSD LCAP Survey
Please take a few minutes to voice your thoughts in our district LCAP (Local Control Accountability Plan) survey. Your thoughts are valuable to our schools and help to form the direction of the district. Thank you for your time!
THIS SURVEY ENDS FEBRUARY 1st and we need your input!!!! Only 60 responses from the MANY MANY MANY Serrano Stakeholders - let's shoot for 250.