IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Tuesday, January 12: Spirit Night at Barley's
- Friday, January 15: Second payment of $100 due for all students and chaperons planning on attending the Washington, D.C. trip--Payment can be made online at this site: <http://osp.osmsinc.com/AshevilleNC/BVModules/CategoryTemplates/Detailed%20List%20with%20Properties/Category.aspx?categoryid=BP008>. More information about the trip can be found here: https://www.smore.com/zxwbf-claxton-goes-to-washington-dc?ref=email>.
- Friday, January 15: Martin Luther King Service Day and Lunch--This is also a volunteer opportunity for parents/guardians who are available. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_0EZx_mgMW7ZuJ4pYk1OmELJu0wIM_y_hwq_Y6ohZuA/edit?usp=sharing.
- Monday, January 18: No school--Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Return to school
- Tuesday, January 19: No school for students--Teacher Work Day
- A message from Mr. Edwards about the last ten days of school: "All of Asheville City Schools will conduct EOG testing in the last 10 academic days of school. Currently, that means beginning on the 24th of May and concluding on the last day of school, June 7th. This certainly is contingent on snow days, so fully expect for these days to shift later into June. We want to be proactive in letting everyone know now, so that there are no surprises at the end of the year".
- Friday: Join us for the MLK Day of service. Sign up here: <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_0EZx_mgMW7ZuJ4pYk1OmELJu0wIM_y_hwq_Y6ohZuA/edit?usp=sharing>
- As soon as possible: Please consider helping Ms. Zunguze photocopy the next math unit, Module 3! E-mail Ms. Z. if you can assist with this important task!
- Check out this website that provides sample math problems and answers as well as videos for homework help: <http://www.oakdale.k12.ca.us/cms/page_view?d=x&piid=&vpid=1402228893267>!
- I have also set up a free class account with Kahn Academy. Your child can join Ms. Zunguze's Kahn Academy class, which provides standards-based math missions that are individualized based on your student's progress within the program. I will offer extra credit for each online session that your child completes. Here's how to join:
Photos with Ms. Fields's First-Grade Class
Before the Winter Break, we made a special visit to Mrs. Fields's First-Grade Class, beginning our relationship with her students as buddy readers. With the help of our fifth-grade students, I taught a lesson on plot elements to the first graders. Then, each of our students read The Gingerbread Man Loose at School to a first grader who got to keep the book as a holiday gift! We had eager readers and lively literary discussions (not to mention a lot of fun)! We look forward to our continued relationship with our first-grade buddies (one of whom happens to be my son)!
- Glue Sticks! Glue Sticks! Glue Sticks!
- a volunteer to photocopy Math Module 3