Gettys Greatness May Newsletter
Gettys Middle School - Easley, SC
Chorus Concerts Launch Spring Public Events in 2021
The Chorus Concerts on April 22 launched the beginning of school events for the Spring that will allow families and students to enjoy the work of our outstanding students. We will continue to have safety protocols for all events so our student programs can operate safely and will need all participants' cooperation. Our sports season was successful due to following these safety protocols, and we will follow similar procedures to mitigate any spread. Student performers will socially distance, all audience members will wear masks and sit in family pods, family pods or seats will be spaced out from others. Most events are by grade level for reduced crowds, facilities will be cleaned between grade level performances, and online ticketing will be used as we cannot exceed determined facility capacities based on our limited seating plans. For most events families will be able to have a minimum of 2-4 guests for each event. More specific information will be delivered specifically to each group's family.
Spring Events Planned:
April 30 Opening Night of Matilda Jr. the Musical 7 pm
May 1 Matilda Jr at 2 pm and 7 pm at GMS Auditorium
May 3 Strings Concert at EHS Auditorium with 6th grade at 6 pm and 7th grade at 7 pm
May 6 Strings Concert at EHS Auditorium with 8th grade at 6 pm
May 7 Matilda Jr at 7 pm in GMS Auditorium
May 8 Matilda Jr at 2 pm and 7 pm in GMS Auditorium
May 15 Band Concert at GMS Gym by grade level
6th grade at 1:00 and 1:45, 7th grade at 3 pm and 3:45 pm, 8th grade 5 pm and
No tickets are available at the doors. Families must secure an online ticket through our website for each event.
Gettys Middle Student Wins at the Pickens County Youth Arts Month Exhibit
Mrs. Lindner Named March Teacher of the Month
Orchestra Students Win "Excellence" Award from the State
Each year, our Strings Program travels to the Concert Performance Assessment competition. This year we competed by submitting their performance on a recording so that these students will still get to have the opportunity to be evaluated by judges. We submitted a recording in March 2021 of our eighth grade Orchestra performing. There were three judges that gave feedback on this performance for us to share with the students. The earned an "Excellent" rating and will be receiving a trophy for the school. They have worked so hard and did a great job! Brandon Varela even played a solo for this event! Great job students and Ms. Atkins!
Students Win Pickens County Soil and Water Conservation District Essay and Photo Contest
1st Place Vicky Wen
2nd Place Breanna Davis
3rd Place Keira Page
1st Place Riley McPherson
2nd Place Alexis Johnson
3rd Place Alice Cunningham
PTO Celebrates our Teachers and Staff
Other highlights from Teacher Appreciation Week:
- Monday- Snack Up: large bowls in breakrooms and mailroom w/ bagged chips, fruit (apples/ cuties), trail mix, pretzels.
- Tuesday- Wake Up with breakfast. Individually wrapped muffins, yogurt, string cheese & granola bars.
- Wednesday- Drink Up: individual water bottles w/ a Crystal Light tea mix 'add in' with a note that says, "You are tea-riffic".
- Thursday- Fill Up: Serendipity boxed lunches.
- Friday- Stock Up: students can send in school supplies for their homeroom teachers (Kleenex, Clorox wipes, sharpies, dry erase markers etc.).
Sign up for prizes & help your grade level win the challenge!
EHS Green Wave Football's Head Coach Durrah To Begin Middle School Spring Workouts
Spring practice for rising 7th and 8th grade will be held on Brice Field at GMS on the following dates:
May 11, 13, 18, 20, 25 and 27. Times are after school from 3:30 until 5:45. Students must wear tee-shirt, shorts, and bring tennis shoes and cleats. Students must have transportation home each day and must be picked up on time.
Car Line and Walker Dismissal Times For Second Semester
- 8th grade car riders and walkers at 2:30 pm
- 7th grade car riders and walkers at 2:45 pm
- 6th grade car riders and walkers at 2:55 pm
- Multi-grade car rider families report at time of lowest grade level student for all
- Families should not arrive until these posted times. If you arrive early, you should park in the lower football parking lot until your grade level dismissal time so traffic flow can continue for other grade level's dismissal.
Rising 7th Grade Tdap Requirement
Don’t forget that your 7th grader must have the Tdap shot before they attend classes in August. This is a booster vaccination required by law for 7th grade students and is a protection against the whooping cough. This required documentation to be eligible to start classes in August should be dropped off in our main office for our nurses. All 6th grade families should make arrangements prior to summer to have your child's Tdap immunization prior to next school year. This state requirement should be taken care of before the first day of school on August 3, 2021.
Student and Family Reminders for SDPC Dress Code
- Moderation and modesty should govern student dress.
- Garments worn on the legs (pants, shorts, skirts, dresses, etc) must have a length that comes to within one inch of the top of the knee; with no holes or slits above this line.
- Masks are required in this pandemic for the safety of students and others. This is a required supply for face-to-face instruction at GMS and should be provided by families. The school has a supply to support students on the occasional day that they forget this item but please help us prevent it being a daily occurrence for our students.
- All district dress code requirements are listed in the student agenda and link is available at the end of this newsletter for your review.
Free Breakfast and Lunch for All Students
GETTYS CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- 4/26/2021 Cheer Tryouts Begin for 2021-2022 school year and run through 4/30
- 4/27/2021 7th grade SC Ready Math State Testing for face-to-face and PCVA grade 7
- 4/28/2021 6th grade SC Ready Math State Testing for face-to-face and PCVA grade 6
- 4/29/2021 8th grade SC Ready Math State Testing for face-to-face and PCVA grade 8
- 4/30/2021 6th grade SC PASS Science State Testing for face-to-face and PCVA grade 6
- 4/30/2021 Opening night of Matilda Jr. Musical with online ticketing only 7 pm
- 5/1/2021 Matilda Jr. Musical online ticketing only with shows 2 pm and 7 pm
- 5/3/2021 Strings Concert at EHS online ticketing only with 6th grade 6 pm and 7th grade 7 pm
- 5/3/2021 Students should begin turning in print library books
- 5/4/2021 7th grade SC Ready Writing State Testing for face-to-face and PCVA grade 7
- 5/5/2021 6th grade SC Ready Writing State Testing for face-to-face and PCVA grade 6
- 5/6/2021 8th grade SC Ready Writing State Testing for face-to-face and PCVA grade 8
- 5/6/2021 Strings Concert at EHS auditorium online ticketing only with 8th grade at 6 pm
- 5/7/2021 Matilda Jr Musical 7 pm online ticketing only
- 5/8/2021 Matilda Jr Musical 2 pm and 7 pm shows with online ticketing only
- 5/11-5/27 Football Spring Practice at Brice Field from 3:30-5:45 pm
- 5/11/2021 7th grade SC Ready Reading State Testing for face-to-face and PCVA grade 7
- 5/12/2021 6th grade SC Ready Reading State Testing for face-to-face and PCVA grade 6
- 5/13/2021 8th grade SC Ready Reading State Testing for face-to-face and PCVA grade 8
- 5/15/2021 Band Concerts at GMS Gym online ticketing only with 6th grade at 1:00 pm and 1:45 pm, 7th grade at 3:30 and 4:15 pm, 8th grade at 6:00 pm and 6:45 pm
- 5/17/2021 7th grade Academic Awards Night GMS gym
- 5/18/2021 6th grade Academic Awards Night GMS gym
- 5/21/2021 8th grade Field Day
- 5/22/2021 8th grade Dance 6:30-8:30 pm
- 5/24/2021 8th grade Academic Awards Night GMS gym
- 5/25/2021 7th grade Field Day
- 5/27/2021 6th grade Field Day
- 5/27/2021 8th grade Drive Out car line 8:45 pm
- Rising 7th grade students should turn in required TDAP documentation before summer.
We look forward to seeing how our new students will "Make Gettys Great" next school year that begins August 3.
A Tradition of Excellence in Easley Since 1962
The school purchases a limited number of yearbooks and the only way to guarantee you will receive one is to preorder during this time. Our yearbooks have color pictures and will be a great way to capture the memories from this unique school year.