Yelm Community Schools
April 15, 2022
MESSAGE FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT
- Daily attendance is improving
- Academic performance is on the rise especially with our most struggling students
- Participation in school sports and activities has increased
- Parent participation in school events is strong
- Community events returning such as the YHS Drama Performance "The Working: A Musical", Home & Garden Show and Prairie Days
- Community user groups are accessing new turf fields
Join us this spring to celebrate our students by attending a game, watching a play, volunteering at a school event or participating in our community events. We are proud of the work of our students, staff and families. Keep up the great work!
WHEN STUDENTS OR STAFF ARE ILL:
- If a student or staff member exhibits COVID-19 symptoms, they should stay home or will be sent to the health/isolation room to be picked up from school.
- If symptoms last more than 24 hours, students and staff will be allowed to return once symptoms have improved and receive a negative test result. Our district testing center will remain open to serve students and staff.
- If a student or staff member tests positive for COVID regardless of vaccination status, they may return after 5 full days of isolation if 1) symptoms have greatly improved, 2) no fever for 24 hours without medication AND 3) tests negative or wears a mask for days 6-10.
- If no test is administered or mask will not be worn, student or staff will remain home for an additional 5 days.
- Masks will be worn in health/isolation rooms.
STRATEGIES WE WILL USE TO REDUCE TRANSMISSION:
- Continue to encourage frequent handwashing and hygiene practices.
- Practice physical distancing to the degree possible and practical.
- Maximize outdoor activities.
- Notify student/family or staff if exposed to COVID positive individual. Student and staff will not be required to quarantine; however, they will be highly encouraged to monitor symptoms, mask for up to 10 days and get tested 3-5 days after their last exposure.
- Make RAPID diagnostic testing available to students and staff that have been exposed to COVID.
- Open windows on buses for ventilation and provide access to masks.
- Disinfect and clean surfaces as recommended.
Countdown to Kindergarten
We are excited to meet next year's Kindergarten students and families. On May 4, we are hosting an open house from 4:30 - 6:00 p.m. at Yelm Middle School. We hope you will share this opportunity with neighbors.
There will be lots of activities during the event you won't want to miss:
- Meet Elementary principals and staff
- Register your student
- Learn about transportation options and sit on a school bus
- Connect with support services
- Chat with a district nurse about immunizations needed
- Bring immunization records if you can
- Receive a 2022-2023 School Calendar
- Learn how to help prepare your student for Kindergarten
Spanish Translators will be available. Snacks will be provided. We can't wait to get to know the Class of 2035.
Oh, The Places You'll Go - 5K
Learners without Limits will host the 'Oh, The Places You'll Go 5K', a self-paced run/walk to raise funds that provide Yelm students with shoes, clothing and other essential items.
Registration includes: event T-shirt to the first 100 registrants, door prizes, and fun! Dr. Seuss costumes are encouraged and pets are welcome. Be sure to register!
- Registration April 28 from 3:00-3:30 p.m.
- Welcome / Sponsors 3:30-3:45 p.m.
- 3:45 p.m.Start
- Registration April 28 from 4:30-5:00 p.m.
- Welcome / Sponsors 5:00-5:15 p.m.
- 5:15 p.m. Start
Arbor Day Celebration
Technology Tips & Tools
Dates to Remember
APRIL - Military Child, Autism Awareness and Occupational Therapy Month
Apr 18-22: Public School Volunteer Week
Apr 21: School Board Meeting 6 p.m.
Apr 25-29: Administrative Professionals Week
Apr 28-30: FFA Plant Sale @ YHS opens @ 8am
Apr 29: Arbor Day Celebration @ Yelm Community Center 11am
May 4: Countdown to Kinder @ YMS 4:30-6:00pm
Yelm Community Schools does not discriminate in any programs, activities or employment opportunities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights: Julie Mondry, 360-458-1900, firstname.lastname@example.org; Title IX Coordinator: Lisa Cadero-Smith, 360-458-6120, email@example.com; and 504 Coordinator: Shannon Powell, 360-458-6124, firstname.lastname@example.org. Address: 107 First St N, PO Box 476, Yelm, WA 98597.